Going to Ikea for . . . . ribs?

I have eaten ribs in a number of places. I generally can tell what eateries will contain edible ribs.  Restaurants like Tony Roma's, Hog's Heaven, Chili's, Buzz BBQ, and the like.  I was mildly surprised to hear staff from the Four Kegs tell me their ribs are their premier dish.  However, all of this pales in comparison to the shock of learning that you can purchase barbecue ribs at . . . . IKEA!

I shouldn't be surprised.  Those Scandinavians are a bit odd and quite crafty (I am thinking of those Norwegian kids who smuggled their country's gold out on sleds - unless that wasn't a true story - in which case I wasn't thinking about that at all).  Ikea itself is one big surprise.  The trail is laid out so that you can only see one category at a time, until you turn a corner.  Then you lose a category (like pillows) and can only see a new category (mattresses).  It's engineered more than any store I can think of.  It's as if Walt Disney and BMW (if BMW were a seductive woman) procreated.

Of course, the food is a bit surprising even without ribs.  Not the tasty Swedish meatballs, but the other stuff.  The salads, the desserts, the macaroni and cheese all are unexpected.  The fact that there is food at Ikea at all, is quite a surprise, but . . . RIBS?

Ok, so I saw ribs at Ikea and had to order them.  They were tender and good.  I don't think I would say they were the best ribs I had ever had.  Why would they be?  I think Bjork is Scandinavian (she's from Iceland).  Can you imagine her slow cooking some pork ribs?  They'd probably be dressed in doll clothes and taste like volcanic ash (and be impossible to pronounce).  But I digress.  The ribs tasted good, they came with cornbread.  Their texture was fine.  They were dirt cheap, and that's enough for me. 

Comments

Julie said…
Too funny...I can't imagine Bjork slow cooking anything. I need to get to Ikea more often and definitely try some of their ribs.

Popular Posts