Hot n Juicy Crawfish - Hot Diggity!





Posted by Picasa
I have been captivated by crawfish since the first time I saw one ruthlessly pinch the nipple of a hapless hillbilly on America's Funniest Home Videos.  Not really.  I have been intrigued by crawfish for quite some time, though.  Now that I have decided that crustaceans are just sea bugs, I find eating them that much more satisfying and scary to eat.

I am a Yelp!er and they recently sent me an email about  restaurants people were liking, and I decided that Hot and Spicy Crawfish was in my near future.  The problem is, that my "crustaceans are Neptune's roaches" perspective is also shared by my wife.  The difference is, that she does not want to consume the ocean's insects as a form of revenge, rather, she would like to stand on a chair and scream whilst I step on them or vacuum them.

Luckily, I have an intermittent partner in crime who, though a long time Vegas resident, is always up for a new restaurant experience.  To protect the identity of the innocent, we'll call him Fancy.  The missus was out of town, so I decided I better get my crawfish thing done, and fast.  Fancy was down to dine (DTD, as I think Ben Roethlisberger or the Situation might say).
We went on a weeknight, a Tuesday or Wednesday.  Surely we would waltz right in and begin cracking shells.  It was not so.  We waited for upwards of an hour to get a table.  When we got in,  our table was covered in a fresh garbage bag (not really, but it looked like it) and I was given a bib.

You order bags of food.  You select its contents, the weight of the contents and what the contents are boiled in.  It's simple.  I got a crawfish bag, a pound or two, with the hottest seasoning.  I had them throw in a corn and sausage.  Fancy ordered shrimp.

After a bit of a wait (it wasn't too long, but wasn't fast food fast, either), hot bags of stuff were delivered.  As neither Fancy nor myself had ever eaten crawfish, we requested and were given a quick lesson.    As you may have heard, you crack the back, eat the tail meat and, as a special treat, "suck the head."  I was hesitant.  Not only because of the connotation of "sucking" any "head", but because I am not a zombie and, therefore, to not have a particular fondness for brains.    I still tried it once or twice.  It was ok.  Fancy, however, was completely taken by the practice.  The flavor, according to Fancy, was truly remarkable - and he remarked plenty about it.  I tried it another few times, and at best, found the flavor to be distinct , but not eye-popping.


The flavor was good, but the experience was great.  I really did like the flavor, and the spices brought some nice heat, but it was more fun to just attack what looked like a bag of tiny alien corpses and tear them up.  There was serious carnage.

What else?  The corn wasn't great.  I guess they probably overboil it.  The sausage was good.  The combinations of seasonings and spices probably mean there are a lot of different meals you can create there.  I strongly recommend you go to Hot and Spicy Crawfish for the experience, and the flavor.  

Comments

A. I don't recall ever standing on a chair screaming while you rode in on your white horse to save me from a blood sucking or nipple grabbing creature!
B. I hope Fancy doesn't read your blog. I am not sure that he would appreciate his code name!
C. Disgusting picks-- as soon as I opened your blog, I found myself leaping onto my chair and screaming like a baby!!

Popular Posts