Doing my job - as a dad

Someone called Liam names (not that he know what names he was called).  It really upset him, he's a very sensitive guy.  Initially there was some crying and then I thought he was over it.  The kids go to bed and I went upstairs to work while watching some Weezer concert footage.

About a half hour later, Liam shows up crying.  Says he "hurt myself's feelings" by dwelling on memories of the way some people have treated him.  We talked for 10-15 minutes.  At one point, I told Liam that "you're one of my favorite people in the whole world" and I could see he hadn't thought of that.  I could tell believed me.  I got to tell him that he was a "good kid" no matter what mistakes he may make.  We talked about some good things to dwell on when you are sad, watched a couple Weezer songs and I took him downstairs to go to bed.  Before putting him to bed, I gave him a big hug and told him sometimes even the things I suggested might not make him feel all the way better.  I told him that when that happens he should say a prayer and ask his mom or dad for a hug and we'd do what we could.  

As I went to turn out the light, he said "Dad, you should feel good about what you did tonight."  I felt great, to have been able to communicate my deep and unconditional love of my son and to feel that he understood in some way, was not good - it was amazing.  

But -

What if I had said "Stop your crying and go to bed"?  When would this opportunity have next presented itself?  

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this post. I love your blog and reading your clever take on life.

Popular Posts