The BBQ House


Have you heard of "Oakland Style" BBQ? I hadn't.  My secretary, it turns out, is a big fan.  Well, Reno isn't huge, so I drive by the same streets fairly frequently.  I noticed a bbq place and looked small, in a less-good part of town and, thus, probably pretty good.  
First, I was a bit nervous, because I am a Denver Broncos fan.  I was concerned that I might be inadvertently funding Raider activities.  I also didn't mention that I was a Broncos fan when I entered, because I didn't want to pay a "Broncos Tax" at this Raider sympathizing place.  

There were two dining rooms, each about 20x20.  One had a Raiders poster, I ate in the other one.  Incidentally, the lady who took my money told me the owners weren't rabid Oakland fans.  I guess Oakland has nothing else to distinguish it from some other lame city.

Ordering was tricky.  The menu had a number of options, which included 1, 2, 3, or 4 meat plates.  The wording on the menu made it sound like the 4 meat was all the meat there was to eat.  It turns out they have five meats and I still had to make a "Sophie's Choice" of sorts and leave a meat behind.  "Hot" bbq sauce was an option, I opted for it.

I should have taken a picture of the paper towel holders.  Each table had a BBQ brush or two mounted to the side.  Rolls of paper towel were placed on them so you could wipe your face, hands, etc.  Pretty nice, but "bearded americans" were, of course, marginalized.  These opressive restaurant failed to include any moist fiber product option for those without smooth, hairless (and less manly) faces.  I think I have just discovered what group I am going to start on Facebook.  Don't forget to join "Bearded Americans tired of being ignored by post-eating face cleaning establishment!"

Here is the plate of meat.  It's a big 'ol pile of meat, in a good way.  Take note, the packet at the upper right is wheat bread. I expected Texas Toast or white bread, but it turns out (says my secretary) that wheat bread is the "Oakland Style" way.  Go figure.  The meat was pretty good.  The smoked chicken was nice, but not great.  I was worried it would be dry but it wasn't.  It had a good flavor.  I had buyer's remorse, I chose smoked chicken (not everyone offers smoked chicken) and left pulled pork behind (thinking it was probably the least noteworthy of the selections).  I would have preferred a run of the mill pork just because pigs rule - and they would totally waste any chicken in a street fight.
The plate has pork spare ribs, beef sausage (made in-house), brisket and smoked chicken.  The brisket was a disappointment - not super tender and not super flavorful.  The sausage was amazing!  It was clearly not only made in-house but was flavored with a proprietary blend.  It was delicious.  The ribs were OK, spare ribs are not the tender meat-fest that baby backs are, bu they were good.  The spicy and sweet BBQ sauce was excellent.

This is the peach cobbler I ordered for dessert.  No whipped cream!  It was in the fridge and not heated!  Otherwise it was OK.

My verdict, The BBQ House in Reno is good.  Get the sausage and try the pulled pork.  Don't waste time on the brisket and unless you like cold cobbler sans whipped cream, get desert somewhere else.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My new favorite post. Are these pictures taken with your phone? They are pretty good!
Rkade said…
Yes, photos courtesy the iphone. I have a couple more I am working on.

Popular Posts