A flannel blanket for your insides

My grandma told me that my grandpa used to love chocolate cake with buttermilk.  He said it was like a "flannel blanket for your insides."  I don't know how much of a hurry I'm in to drink buttermilk, but I have totally different feelings for half-and-half.  My grandpa used to put a little half and half on our Cream of the West at breakfast.  He'd put a bit on our cold cereal, too.  When I was a kid, we would get fresh milk from a dairy farmer in our town, and I'd put cream on my cereal as well.  When I was seventeen, I worked on a dude ranch in Wyoming for a summer and I would buy a half-and-half and drink it like gatorade when it was hot out.  
Now that I'm old and fat, I almost never have it.  I don't eat cereal often anyway because I get shaky and dizzy if that's all I have for breakfast.  But, if Amy is cooking with half-and-half and there's some left, you better believe I am having cereal with milk and half-and-half.
The richness of the milk and half-and-half almost feel like my insides are being coated with velvet.  Delicious velvet.  After I eat it, I feel like I have eaten pure gold, that I am full of comfort and happiness.  
Then I avoid the scale for a day or two.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh goody! Two posts to make my day. This is my favorite! That is so true! Half and Half is like a flannel blanket for your insides! I bought it a few times when I was pregnant. I miss those days! How freakin old are you that you had a dairy farmer drop off milk? I certainly never knew that! I just finished sliced strawberries in milk with powdered sugar. How delicious would that of been with half and half!.......I guess I don't really miss my pregnancy days since I still eat crap like that! Shame on me.

Popular Posts