Kilroys Burgers - Hot in some ways, not in others

Burgers, everyone makes one and craploads of people say they have the best. I am lucky enough to work in between two great burger places. Create (probably will be reviewed later) and Kilroy's. Kilroy's is older. Kilroy's claims to be the best in Vegas. This week, I sent an email to all the associates for an outing to Kilroy's.

Ambience: Kilroy's is a hole in the wall. It's a dive-y place on the corner of Charleston and Buffalo. It's been there a while (I think). The place is not new, in fact it looks "broken in." Kilroy's theme is, apparently, Kilroy was there. The place is covered in movie posters with a little Kilroy drawn in. It's cute, I guess.

Food: Who cares about ambience? I don't, really. If they'll let me in, that's all the ambience I need. As noted above, there was a small question in my office regarding who makes the best burger between Create and Kilroys. Here's my opinion: Create is delicious and very customizable. I have no complaint about Create. However, Create's burgers are grilled on a conveyor griller, which I think makes them slightly dry. Brad disagrees with me. Brad can get his own blog.
Kilroy's burgers are large, on a good bun (which actually varies from burger to burger - they have what looks like ciabatta, regular buns and texas toast that I've seen). The burger is juicy, cooked to order (Create is too, but you can't really select how done you want it). They have a pretty large selection of burger types which should cover the bases of all the tastes in your party.
Let's look at examples, below is Dave's burger. He got some barbecue variety. He loved it. It had bbq sauce, fried onions, and we ordered some sweet potato fries. Sweet potato fries are kind of trendy. People, like me, who are trying to be less fat, eat them to pretend they are healthy (Weight Watchers people are always looking for things with a bit more fiber in them so they can eat more of it). Kilroy's gives you cranberry sauce with them, but it looks like it just shimmied out of a can. The fries themselves are good, but Create's are just a touch better. However, Kilroys also has regular fries and beer battered fries as options, so we'll call it a draw.

As you might have noticed from the Wings Restaurant review, I like spicy food. I decided to stray from the burgers at Kilroys and get the "mega hot" chicken strips. When they arrived, I was excited because I could see the pepper seeds in the sauce! You can kind of see it in the picture below.
One other thing to notice about this picture is the small pitcher of soda. Yep, they saw I was a guy who could put away some DC (Diet Coke) and brought me a little pitcher to keep me going. It was a nice touch that was indicative of the service we got throughout the meal. This is a half order, by the way. The flavor was good, texture was good too. Unfortunately, they were not "mega hot." However, don't be discouraged, because the burgers that claim to be spicy are, in fact, reasonably spicy.

So, go to Kilroy's. They have earned their reputation. If you want a good burger, you can buy one at Kilroy's.

Comments

Popular Posts