Music Review - Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend
Music has much to do with what you love. You may make music because you love someone (and because they screwed you over). Maybe because you love fame, or money, or misery. Some people seem to make music because they love beauty.

Vampire Weekend strikes me as such a band. This is significant because a lover of beauty is not a term that could be used to describe many of the bands I listen to. The singles I'd heard on XM were good, but didn't drive me to anything. Then I figured it out. It was just beautiful. Liam and I were watching the College Music Awards, and Vampire Weekend played with Chromeo. It was beautiful. I got the album and realized it really evoked Paul Simon's Graceland. A bit of research (i.e., I checked wikipedia) showed that these guys like African music too.
Any dudes who are cool enough to use harpsichords, melodies, harmonies and lush arrangements are cool dudes. (This may be one of the only pure Ivy Leage albums ever made - the guys are/were all students at Columbia)

I love this album because, even though an "F-bomb" is dropped a time or two (in Oxford Comma), there is just interesting, beautiful music that is far from boring.
Try Vampire Weekend. If you like it, you'll feel smart.

Comments

Popular Posts