El Rincon de Buenos Aires - Redux


I still love El Rincon de Buenos Aires. It certainly isn't their fault that the Argentinians have a taste for sauasage that I don't. But, in the interest of full disclosure, I am supplementing my post on this restaurant to share the knowledge I gained at my most recent outing.

First, the menu refers to a "black" sausage a number of times. This isn't a "blackened" sausage (if such a thing even exists), that is darker colored due to seasoning. Nope, this is a "black" sausage in the sense that coagulated blood is darker than fresh blood. In the picture below, the "black" sausage is in the upper right corner of my little barbecue thing. Yes, I learned this weekend what blood sausage tastes like. Verdict - blood sausage is not my thing. My main complaint is that it has a horrible texture, like I would imagine a boiled scab to be. If it were firmer and could be chewed a bit as well as sliced, I would maybe be able to eat it better. But it isn't and I can't.

I also learned that "sweetbreads" are not, in fact, bread of any sort. In the picture above, the "sweetbreads" look like grilled chicken. They do not, however, taste like chicken. They don't really taste like anything. Their texture is ok, I just wished for a bit more flavor, maybe they needed a sauce. After eating a few of them, I began to suspect that I was maybe eating brains. Because the girls were already grossed out by my blood sausage, I asked Dave in Spanish what he thought. He wasn't sure, but was sure to let it slip in English that we thought we might be eating brains. It turns out, after asking the waiter, that "sweetbreads" are glands. Cow glands. Now you know. And, in the spirit of the upcoming release of the G.I. Joe Motion Picture, knowing is half the battle.

Comments

Love your post although it did make me gag!
Anonymous said…
Been there, done that, and probably will never do it again.

Dave

Popular Posts