Pupusas - not at all like poo!

I work on the West side of Vegas and live on the North side. Thus, in many respects, even my home base of Vegas is quite unexplored. Case in point, Las Pupusas (it's a lot of fun to say if you pronounce it carefully, making all the "u"s long). I was on the South East side at GDH for a deposition, and needed lunch. Las Pupusas is right by Freed's Bakery (a bakery of some note in this town, Rachel Ray is also a fan). I had actually eaten here years before, but didn't realize it was a Salvadorean restaurant until I had their horchata (which is WAY different from Mexican Horchata- and not in a good way).
The restaurant is called "las pupusas" so I ordered las pupusas. Apparently, they take whatever it is you make corn tortillas out of (masa?) and shape it like a tortilla, fill it with delicious stuff (cheese, chorizo, beans, what have you) and then make another tortilla on top. Cook it and you have a pupusa. It is served with chopped cabbage and what the menu describes as "marinated tomato sauce", but was really a kind of mild salsa. The result? Delicious. Really. Rich, warm, hearty tasting food.
But wait, there's more. Also on the menu was the reoccurring theme of yucca root and chicharones. So, I got them both on one plate. The chichharones were much different than I expected. In my mind I was ordering fresh made pork rinds. What I got was chunks of pork with a fair amount of fat on them. A bit dry, but they had good flavor. The yucca root tasted l ike a slightly sweet potato and was also quite dry.
The diet Coke was just like everywhere else, in case you were wondering.

Comments

Popular Posts