The Almo Outpost

We went to the city of rocks and Amy's dad made sure we stopped at the outpost for lunch. Maurice really played this place up, so I was nervous that it couldn't possibly justify the hype. Well, it could. First, I got a side salad. For a little place on the middle of nowhere, the side salad, an afterthought at best at most similar places, was a good effort.


I ordered the steak and cheese sandwich with frilled onions with a side of Dutch oven potatoes. The bread was delicious, buttery and toasty. The meat was tender and flavorful. It was covered generously with cheese. I have no complaints about it.
The Dutch oven potatoes were described in the menu as potatoes, onions, cheese and cream. It was amazing. Rich, flavorful and smooth.



Finally, dessert. I am a gadget guy. I love technology, indoor plumbing, massage chairs. However, the pioneer pudding they had for dessert nearly made a Luddite out of me. It was rich, caramely, and warm.




Restaurants near remote natural wonders are often tourist traps. They take advantage of their captive audience by overcharging for crappy food. The Almo Outpost was a delicious spot that renewed my faith in the restaurant owning humanity. They provide delicious food, great service and a reasonable dose of atmosphere when they could have gotten away with less.


-- Post From My iPhone

Comments

Anonymous said…
Still waiting for the turkey leg and now I have to look up "Luddite" to see what the means. I am worried what that dessert turned you into.

Popular Posts