Fear the Bandido (is that a Metallica song?)

Tacoooooo Bandidoooooooo. That is how the Lone Ranger would say it. I am talking about Burley's own Taxo Bandido, purveyor of one of the finest examples of the rural Mountain West's idea of Mexican food. Chris Cooley, tight end for the Redskins, knows what I'm talking about. The Taco Time, Taco John's and others are not real Mexican food. They are what kids raised in the mountain west thought was Mexican food until someone took them to a Roberto's or Filiberto's. While you can't see real Mexican food from the Taco Bandido (unless there is a taco truck in the parking lot), that doesn't mean it isn't a charming crayon drawing of it.



Look. It's a "Bandido Burrito" with "green salad" on the side. You who know what I am talking about, know they have seen this dish fifty different times at fifty different "Mexican" food places. They asked me when I ordered it if I wanted hot sauce, I said "yes.". They gave me a clear squeeze bottle of slighy chunky, reddish sauce. I could not detect a hint of "hot" even at quantities approaching one tablespoon of the alleged hot sauce per bit of burrito. No matter. Just like you don't go to Disneyworld for a realistic world travel experience, you don't visit the Bandido to taste Mexico. I love the Bandido. I must visit each time I visit Burley. I guess I feel like I am back in rural Wyoming when I go there. It tastes good and familiar.
-- Post From My iPhone

Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel like saying what does it matter what any food tastes like if you cover it in hotness? Do you not find that it takes over the true flavor? I wonder where you got this desire for really hot foods from? Dad doesn't like his food that hot! I find you............I am not sure you don't have a reaction box for what I am feeling. It is somewhere around interesting and cool, but something more. I guess purple is it.
Rkade said…
Hot sauce doesn't cover the flavor, it increases the intesity of your food experience. It adds adversity to a sometimes boring trip, making it memorable.

Popular Posts