Fresh corn!!

Nothing says harvest to me like corn. I always understood fairs to be intended to be linked to harvest time, so people could trade their goods before winter. To me, the fresh corn the Lions sell at the Cassia County Fair is the epitome of the fresh harvest food. Corn connotes Thanksgiving, is native to this hemisphere-which makes it a truly American crop, and is prepared without really altering the corn. It's a perfect symbol for an American harvest celebration.



Now, I love the corn at the CCF(Cassia County Fair) but it isn't the best I've ever had ( I'm looking at you Olathe, Colorado sweet corn), but it's good. It's funny though, how every town (or county, in this case) claims to gave the best sweet corn.
At the CCF, I go to the Lions' booth and get an ear. They boil it, dip the whole thing in butter and leave you to apply salt, chili spice, cheese powder, Parmesan, lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning and a couple more that I am forgetting. I always just do salt and chili powder. I love that the whole thing is baptized in golden butter. It means that you not only get the delicious taste of rich, wholesome butter (I'm fishing for sponsors here, are you listening idaho's dairy farmers?), but you have something the seasonings stick to. It's like symbiosis. I always have at least two ears, but would gladly eat five in a sitting.

-- Post From My iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts