Smash Burger's Hot Dogs

As evidence of how misleading a name can be, Smashburger also does hot dogs (and salads, but I haven't taken a picture of any of those yet).  Here is the story of my experience with a Smashburger hot dog:

One lonely lunch time, I went to Smashburger.  Thinking that their juicy burgers and generous toppings were perhaps too many calories, I thought maybe a hot dog would be better.  In retrospect, I should have known better.  I can't remember what this dog is called, but it looks like a type of chili dog.

The folly of believing that a Smashburger hot dog was somehow healthier than a burger is clear from this photo.  Exhibit 1: chili.  That is not vegetarian chili.  Exhibit 2: Cheese.  Exhibit 3: The bun.  Can you see how it looks shiny?  I must have been coated in butter or some type of oil before serving.  There is no Exhibit 4, that sauce was for the onion straws.

Ok, I was stupid for thinking the hot dog was healthier, but, was it tasty?  Damn straight it was.  The dog was split and grilled, which gave it great texture and a nice carmelized flavor.  The toppings were very tasty and, again, fresh jalepenos bring more heat, but also more flavor than their pickled brethren.

My side order, reveals that my desire to eat something more healthy than a burger was just me lying to myself.  How else can I explain ordering battered fried onions?  There is no explanation.  I blatantly decided I wanted tasty, albeit unhealthy, stuff and Smashburger has a lot of that stuff.  The onion straws are so good.  They are crispy. easy to eat and the sauce, I think it has horseradish in it, is perfect.  It is unique and distinctive, but not weird.

Another great job, Smashburger.  Now, to call my doctor and get the cholesterol washed out of my veins.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would have no regrets on that meal my friend. The only regret you should have is not sharing it with me. Those onion rings look killer!
Julie said…
Just had a smash burger open up near me and had never heard of it. You can bet I'll checking out the dogs now.

Popular Posts