Grandma Darrington's Maple Bars

When I married Amy, I married Declo, ID. I unwittingly became a part of a family and culture that permeates and influences an area like nothing I've ever been a part of. I have roots in Wyoming, and people can recognize me as a Baird there, but the Bairds in Lovell and Cowley have nothing on the Darringtons of Declo. I have a few stories about this, but I'll save them for later. For now, the maple bars will be the story.
Every year, for over 30 years (or maybe longer), The Declo Stake of the LDS church has sold maple bars at the fair as a fund raiser. It's their signature item. The recipe comes from Amy's grandma Darrington.


These maple bars aren't just a fair favorite, they are a craze. The picture above shows the huge operation the maple bars are. As a comparison, it takes about 3-4 people to run the part of the booth that does hamburgers and stuff. The picture above doesn't even show everyone who was working the maple bars booth when I went the first time). People order them by the dozens. There are no other flavors, no other varieties, just the maple bars. They will make racks of them, only to run out right before the rodeo. I daresay that grandma Darrington's maple bars may now be legendary, and rightly so.


-- Post From My iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts