Sushi is Beautiful

I love sushi.  I will be forever indebted to Justin Garrity for putting me in the peer pressure situation where I first tried it.  Since then, my love for it has been deepening.  You probably know I have been traveling like crazy lately.  As a result, I have been eating on someone else's dime.  So, I have tried to experience foods and restaurants that I wouldn't normally see if I weren't travelling.  Lately, I have been spending some time in coastal states and have taken advantage of fresh seafood in those regions by going to Sushi.

The pictures I attach here are examples of why I love Sushi.  I love sushi because it is delicious, it is real and it is aesthetically pleasing.  First, I really have grown to love the taste of sushi.  The buttery smoothness of fresh tuna is something I really treasure.  The way a good sushi chef takes delicious flavors and turns them into something that LOOKS too good to eat is also exciting for me.  I also love sushi because I am eating real food.  Sashimi and ngiri, are just simple foods that don't have anything to hide.  I feel like I really am tasting the fish, and not just seasonings.  Let's run down these three restaurants:

1. RAW in Spokane, WA
The other place I ate in Spokane was RAW sushi.  Yelp told me it was good.  We had a break in the deposition and a female attorney (who was also supposed to be on a romantic getaway with her husband on this trip) and I ran over to RAW to eat.  The food was delicious but the service was SLOOOOW.  Sometimes I don't care, but I did not know the person I was eating with very well, so the time spent waiting was spent enduring forced and somewhat awkward conversation. But, on to the food:

Okay, this isn't sushi, it's a seared scallop, but I'm told it was delicious.  Here's the sushi I got:
Each bite has meat (fish), starch (rice), vegetables, and sometimes, depending on the sauce used, dessert. The colors are usually bold and each bite is a representation of the whole plate.

Style 9

Yelp also led me to Style 9.  Style 9 sushi is in San Clemente, right near the beach.  It looks like a dive, my favorite kind of place.  Look at the beautiful job they did:

This was their spicy roll.  It was amazing, those are jalepenos with tempura bits on the top for crunch.
Thanks to Jon Arnold, I now enjoy cajun spice tuna.  This was the Style 9 version.  You can really see the pride they took in preparing this fish.  some places just throw some slices of seasoned fish on the plate, but Style 9 went to the trouble to really present it.  Oh, and it was the best cajun tuna I've ever had.


Finally, the lobster roll:

You can't taste it from here, but it was delicious.  Mild and smooth, with lots of little surprises in the roll. Just delicious.

Miyabi, Seattle, WA

I managed to get near the airport with about two hours to spare, so I used Google to find a close sushi place.  Miyabi was highly rated and I found it to be full of Japanese people, always a good sign.  The chef even muttered in Japanese the whole time ( I assume it was Japanese).  Take a look at this sashimi:
I'm not an expert on sushi or fish, so I don' t know what I was eating.  The menu described it as a white fish, but I don't know if that means it was whitefish.  But, it was mild, smooth and came with a delicious sweet and somewhat vinegary sauce.

Next, I had the Miyabi roll, a large flavorful roll with lots of large chunks of fish and the great texture of roe:

The last roll I had was, I think, the blazing tuna.  It was, indeed, blazing, but was also richly flavored and delicious:
Finally, since I wasn't paying, I got dessert.  I ordered the honey/mango cheesecake with low expectations.  I haven't yet had a dessert that I really loved at a japanese restaurant:
Until this one.  It was delicious.  Great texture, nice flavors and, it was pretty.

Sometimes I can't believe I get to eat this stuff for free.

Comments

Anonymous said…
MMM honey mango cheesecake.
Dave Walnum said…
No wonder lawyers charge so much! It all looks good, although you are a little more daring than I am.

Popular Posts