Reno's Chocolate Bar - candy for dinner!






I will admit, the Chocolate Bar, in Reno, looked suuuuuper snooty.  I thought it was probably too highbrow for my tastes. But, a few weeks ago when my deposition ended leaving me only about 40 minutes to find and eat dinner before catching my plane, I threw caution to the wind and went there.

I walked in and sure enough, this was a place that definitely had an interior design vision that supposed to be modern, arty and slick.  This wasn't helping me feel like this place spoke my language.  Until, the lady said I had arrived during happy hour!  I grabbed a menu and happily discovered I would be eating more than just candy for dinner.

But, first, an appetizer.  This is the fondue for one.  You pick the chocolate, you pick the mix-ins (marshmallows, grand marnier, etc.) and you pick the dipping items.  I picked raspberries, bananas and CHEESECAKE.  I was brilliant.  By the way, when I write "I was brilliant", it is not a typo.  I mean it.  I am bragging, but I believe it is true that when it comes to reading menus, I am pretty dang good at it.  Some people read a menu and don't really get the idea of what they are ordering.  I almost always do.  I have a particular talent for understanding when the menu is hiding something and when it is showing me my next favorite dish.  It is a talent that greatly enriches my life.



So, here we have beef satay.  That is a delightful spicy sauce garnishing the plate with a tasty teriyaki-ish dipping sauce.  The meat was reasonably tender and I simply enjoyed it.  It was also quite fresh tasting.


Moving on, even though it was probably 75 degrees outside, I decided I had to try the Mayan hot chocolate.  It was a very rich and chocolatey (but still reasonably sweet) hot cocoa with cayenne pepper.  Delicious.  Spicy and sweet, my favorite.  I was very happy with that decision as well.
I also brought home some delicious truffles for Amy.  They were a hit!

In sum, the Chocolate Bar is less a chocolate bar and more a tapas bar with a serious sweet tooth.  That is to its credit.  I really liked it and would happily eat there again.  Posted by Picasa



Comments

Anonymous said…
How fun was that post! Pat yourself on the back that was brilliantly written (is brilliantly a word?) I was right there with you on mastering the menu and knowing what to order. I definitely am not as good as you, but compared to others (ie Josh) I am pretty good. The times when I shy away from what will be obviously good and order something daring, but amazing is so satisfying. I really love it when Josh sneaks a bite and his whole face lights up like dang you why didn't I order that. It is was equal to how wonderful it would be if he said "you were right, I was wrong" every day for the rest of my life.
That is a place I would definitely like to visit!!

Popular Posts