Chocolate Spritz! The box the cookie press came in is worth keeping.

My family had two Christmas cookies growing up.  The butter sandwich cookie (real names changed to protect the innocent) and the spritz.  My mom always brings dozens of each of these during the appropriate season (and never at any other time).  Amy (the Missus) has had quite a saga with cookie presses (part of it was my fault - it couldn't handle the extreme forces applied by my obscenely large muscles).  She finally got one that worked well and is not broken (because I won't be allowed to use it) and, as an added bonus, it came with recipes.
I should be skeptical of recipes that come with the appliance, but I'm not.  Instead of filling me with dread and suspicion, they fill me with good will.  And, as you can see, there was also a recipe for chocolate spritz cookies.
Pros: They were tasty.  They had a surprising richness and depth of flavor.  They were tiny, i.e. cute as hell.
Cons:  Extruding brown dough from a sphincter-like cookie press can be an effective dieting tool.  The cookies didn't have the light flavor of the standard spritz.

I liked them.  My mom should probably be worried - Amy has broken her Christmas cookie monopoly!

Final note - the picture on the blue background was an attempt to be arty and use a complementary color to highlight the cookie.  Amy didn't like it and requested the photo below, on the cookie rack. Whatever you do, if you care about my marriage, don't tell me in the comments which looks better!


Posted by Picasa

Comments

khbaird said…
We don't need to say which one looks better because you can take one look at them both and know right away which one wins.

Mom is going to move to putting illegal substances in her cookies to get you to come down still. That or a stripper pole in the living room.
I am not quite sure why a stripper pole in your Mom's living room would be a draw but whatever. And it is clear that the cookies on the rack WINS!

Popular Posts