Daughter's Cafe - unique in a good way


Slight deviations from the routine can so often yield surprising, and significant results.  I was headed to a deposition in Reno, and took a right about two blocks sooner than I usually do.  Driving down an unfamiliar street, to a familiar location, I noticed a sign - "Daughter's Cafe, Breakfast, Lunch and Evening Dessert".  I was intrigued, especially since it looked closed at 8:00 in the morning.  After the deposition, I went back, to find it open.  


I got a new camera for Christmas, and on this trip I decided to start bringing it into the restaurants, since I am getting tired of the limitations on my iPhone (2 mp, no flash or macro).  I entered and a woman said, "Welcome to my home."  She noticed the camera and probably thought I was a critic (which I guess I am, a little bit).  I told her I just like taking pictures of food and she had me sit where ever I wanted.

As you can see, it is just two rooms of someone's house.  The house represented one of my favorite aspects of Reno, just like any "old" city that hasn't razed all of its old houses.  The house was old, in a good way, and the owners didn't feel the need to make it look modern or updated.  The decor was antique.  I particularly liked the way the whole ambiance challenged you to accept it.  It walked up to the line of tacky or overworn, but didn't cross it.  It told you it know it could be made to look better, but was knew it was more than acceptable and serviceable already.




Another thing I thought while at Daughters - how many restaurants claim to be into local goods, small batch cooking and other homestyle things.  More than should, I figure.  This was actually someone's house.  It doesn't get more homemade than that.

Another note, before I get to the food, the menu.  Like a fine dining restaurant, the menu was extremely limited.  There were three or four different options.  Each a full meal. There was a fish dish, an omelet dish, each with a side, salad and dessert.  You just pick which meal and you're done.  But, at the top of the menu was a little paragraph talking about winter, food being scarce and how that influenced the menu selection.  It wasn't pretentious, or condescending.  It was completely appropriate and added to the experience.

I ordered the cassoulet.  But, as I was ordering, I noticed they were selling sweet potato doughnuts.  I couldn't resist.  I ordered the cassoulet, which came with an escarole salad (with roasted pumpkin), a french roll and a piece of apple cake along with those doughnuts.  After a few minutes, I remembered that I was getting fat and asked if they could just give me a half order of the cassoulet.  I went outside to take a phone call ( I try not to be a total douche - I try not to take cell phone calls in the eating area of restaurants) and shortly after I came back, the woman who seated me (she told me her name, but I am not good at names) and introduced me to her mother.  Her mom asked me if I was sure that I only wanted a half order, I could take the extra home, I told her I was flying home and couldn't take leftovers.  The first lady said "She isn't really a 'half order lady'", I thanked them for their concern and told them I was fat enough.  When my food arrived, it was a half order, but I was checked on at least once to ensure I had enough food.

The first thing I ate was the doughnuts.  There were obviously freshly fried, covered in powdered sugar and accompanied by a maple sauce.  I am sorry to say, that I promptly took a bunch of poor photos. This was the best I got of the doughnuts.


They were delicious.  Perhaps slightly overcooked, but still delicious.  The sweet potato influence was not overly obvious and the maple sauce was amazing.

The meal, was beautiful.  In defense of Daughters, and their plating, the full serving of the cassoulet, came in a larger, better looking bowl.  Since I ordered the half serving, the bowl was not as pretty, but it isn't their fault.

The cassoulet - it was delicious.  It was a perfect winter food.  Meaty, savory, warm.  I tried to only eat the solid parts and save the liquid for my bread.  That lead to this spill.  The meal was so good that I was mad at myself for letting this much of the cassoulet spill, I didn't want to waste a drop.


The salad was good.  Escarole is a bit bitter, but I enjoyed it.  It appreciated that they didn't try to hide the natural flavor of the greens with too much dressing or other garnishes.

The apple cake was also delicious.  It tasted like something you might make in a dutch oven while camping.

The best part, and I can't believe I am saying this, was the roll.  Understand that I loved the meal, and the cassoulet was truly noteworthy, but the roll was stunning.  I love crusty breads.  There is nothing wrong with them.  But this roll was, to me, the ideal roll.  This is what a roll should aspire to.  It had crust.  It was a very thin, but crispy crust.  The bread inside was light and tasty, it perfectly absorbed the butter that was put in it.  The texture nearly made me dizzy.  I have never had a better roll.

I've said this before and I'll say it here.  There is good food, there are good experiences.  This was both.  Emeril bandies the term "love" around when cooking.  I don't think his food knows "love", though it is delicious.  His food is more lusty - more seductive and apt to leave you for a guy in a Ferrari.  This meal, was full of real love.  It will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and doesn't care what you look like.  I hope to eat there again, maybe in the summer, outside.

Comments

Popular Posts