Jamm's Restaurant - unique food hidden in plain sight

Posted by PicasaThrough poor planning or just as a means of finding low rent, Jamms Restaurant is one I have probably driven past more than any other without seriously considering going in.  It's just in the wrong strip mall.  I finally went there the other day and was pleasantly surprised.  What I found was a unique restaurant with a quirky and original menu.

Among the charming quirks I found at Jamm's was a single person booth.  Have you ever been in one?  I have.  For someone who dines alone A LOT, it was nice to not be on display this once.  The menu is varied and large.  There are a lot of things I wanted to try, but, in the interest of evaluating their skills, I selected corned beef hash.

Instead of the "white or wheat" option being the only breads available, Jamm's has the "Pot 'o Bread", which is a roll baked in a ramekin.  It was good, but not great.  It was light and fluffy, but tasted too much like a Rhodes' dinner roll in a ramekin.

The service was friendly and fast enough, it seemed to have a lot of regulars and the atmosphere was friendly, home-y and kitschy.  Then, I got my meal.

I ordered corned beef hash because a) it loves hot sauce, b) it usually comes with eggs and c) you can easily tell if it is homemade or not and is a good baseline evaluation of the quality of the kitchen.  My verdict on Jamm's corned beef hash:
Very nice.

It tasted fresh, not too salty and wasn't too greasy.  It was great at the restaurant and it was great the next day.  The potatoes were particularly good.  I have suspected some restaurants in the past of using frozen, pre-made hash browns and it really disappoints me, but these were unique and legit.
 






Eureka! I have found another hole in the wall to frequent.

Comments

Popular Posts