More Stuff I Cooked






Posted by Picasa
I had big plans for Christmas dinner.  The In-Laws were in, their old friends were going to be there, and much of my family was going to come up for a big 'ol hottenanny of a Christmas Dinner.  It would be a combination of the "God Bless Us Everyone" feel of the end of Dickens "A Christmas Carol" and a red neck trailer park feed.
But, then things changed and it was just us and the In-Laws for Christmas, so we didn't have it.  That's right, no Christmas Dinner. However, it was kind of nice to just take it easy and watch football instead of cooking like crazy.  So, we reinvited the friends of the family from out-of-town and had Christmas Dinner on December 27.
My Epicurious iPhone app had some nice items in it and I found the whole menu in there.  Since turkey and I are not on speaking terms, I selected garlic braised beef shanks as the main dish.  Brocolli with bulger and walnuts were my side dish and Amy did horseradish mashed potatoes and some quick rolls.  I made a sauce for the beef and, the meal turned out kind of pretty.


It's funny how classy plates and stuff from Ikea can look.












I know shanks are suppposed to be stew meat, considered low class, but they present pretty well, I think.  I could be wrong, though.











Maybe the best part, was that we got a couple bottles of sparkling cider out of the crowded fridge in the garage. 

As Gary Coleman (in his guest appearance on a Christmas episode of the Simpsons)said in his version of the tiny Tim's signature line: "Whatchoo talking about everyone."
Merry Christmas

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is yumminess for sure! It looks so pretty. I am off to Ikea to copycat.
khbaird said…
I too have Ikea plates and I enjoy them! I am impressed by the fact that you can cook something for so many people with out fear. When I think of the idea of Aubrie and I cooking for others it is a bit scary becuase we are so inexperienced.

Popular Posts