Some OK Sushi - Wasabi

I have a favorite sushi place in Reno.  It isn't Wasabi.

Disclaimer - I am not a sushi pro.  I don't know if I have ever had real (as opposed to powdered and reconstituted) wasabi.  I don't have any burning desire to eat a shrimp while it is still alive.  However, I do enjoy sushi and know what I like.

Last week, I was in Reno and headed out to the big outlet mall on the south part of town and decided to try a sushi place called Wasabi.  I went in and the decor was not noteworthy.  The service was nice, the chefs were friendly.  The food was ok.

I took some pictures (with my phone, so, quality is only so-so).
This is some seared tuna with black and red pepper.  It was still nice and raw in the middle and seared on the outside.  It was a good bite.  It was also pretty.  The people next to me ordered some after they saw mine.














The menu was short on rolls with habanero and jalepeno.  I asked the chef what he had that would hurt me.  He said he sometimes made this roll, tuna with serrano peppers.  I have no idea what the green stuff is.  He was right, it was quite spicy and tasted just fine.










This was an interesting roll that was topped with a wasabi cream sauce.  Looking at it now, it almost looks like a French cuisine influenced sushi roll.  It was nice.












This was my favorite.  It tasted good and looked better.  I think it was called a scallop rose.  It was a scallop with sauce wrapped in tuna.  It was fun.












Overall, I enjoyed my meal.  The fish tasted good and was reasonably fresh.  The staff were nice and they changed the channel on the TV so I could watch the Texas/Alabama game while I ate.  The price was pretty good (19.95 for all you can eat at dinner).  I didn't love it because it didn't seem to really have a personality.  It was tame and not very inspiring.  There's nothing wrong with Wasabi, but it certainly could be more right.

Comments

That is a beautiful plate... not gonna get this in Kansas, believe me

Popular Posts