Pops Philly Steaks. Confident food.

My deposition went through lunch, so I needed to eat and I didn't want to spend a lot of time.  However, I also wanted something unique and new.  The answer: Pops.

I had been there once before, for breakfast and loved it.  Pops is about a mile from the freeway on Decatur, so I don't just "swing by" on the way to somewhere else.  This time, I took the trip.  I got there at about 3:00 p.m.  There was a line.  Having had a cheesesteak the day before, I decided to try something different.  Boy did I find different.  I ordered the barbecue pork grinder, the cheese pinwheels with cheese sauce and the "gourmet" bananas foster dessert.  It was ready quickly and I headed back to the office with my loot.

Cheese pinwheels.  What are they?  I am not sure.  My guess is these are fried cheez whiz, dipped in cheez whiz.  They were not bad.  The texture was something similar to a Funyun, but with a cheesy essence, not an oniony one.  Fun to eat.  I was full and so I left them in the kitchen.  The staff cleaned them up pretty quickly.

The barbecue pork grinder.  This is pretty good.  the pork was pretty tender, the sauce fairly zesty.  The jalepenos I ordered along with the onions made for some good bites.  I liked it.  I guess I will need to try the cheesesteak here sometime because this place does their homework.
And dessert?  "Gourmet" bananas foster.  The white part is a cream cheese filling, the brown part is chocolate/banana mixture.  It is classic fair food.  Fried, warm, rich and tasty.  I really liked it.  My arteries probably didn't.


Verdict:  I like Pops.  This place has a confidence or swagger that makes it fun to visit.  My grillmaster "Steve" is your classic greasy spoon cook.  Big, sweaty, gruff and quick as lightning.  The place has a menu that numbers its items.  The numbers go to at least the 30s.  But, there is never any confusion, panic or even checking the cheat sheet when you order.  They know what they do, they know its good and they do it quickly.  


Comments

Tell me again why you have high cholesterol? You know that when your arteries get clogged other things stop working! This has been a pubic service announcement!

Popular Posts