Super Bowl Snacks pt. 3 - fake fried Onion Rings

Posted by Picasa
The crowning achievement of my healthier snack quest was the baked "fried" onion ring.  Onion rings are wonderful.  I think I am particularly drawn to them because I actually hate onions.  I guess because they are forbidden, I love the onion ring that much more.

How did we do it?  The recipe called for dried breadcrumbs.  I used a whole wheat version (amy's homemade bread, as I recall).  You rinse the onions, dredge them in a flour/baking soda mixture, dip them in egg, then in the breadcrumbs.  I did two batches.  One with some Johnny's seasonings in the bread crumbs and one with a chipotle mixture in the breadcrumbs.  They were both great.  You bake them after spraying a bit of oil on them.  The texture was great.  Very crispy, crunchy and tasty.  The chipotle version was nice and hot.

Here is my trio of snacks.  I filled a plate and watched the game upstairs.  I ate a bit more than was on this plate.  I know I exceeded my daily quota, but it certainly would have been worse had I fried all of these items.  Of course, it would have been a bit better had I not used a chili mayonnaise as a dip for the onion rings.

The onion rings were the biggest success of the three.  We will definitely be doing those again.  Over all, going healthier was fun and, it gives you a new take on your old favorites.  

Comments

Popular Posts