Superbowl Snacks, part 1 - Wings

Due to my chronic condition of not being skinny, I decided to try to snack a bit healthier this Super Bowl.  It wasn't easy.  However, after having my eyes opened to the possibility of spicy chicken wings that weren't fried (thank you KFC), I decided that anything was possible.  So, I went online and found a few recipes for less unhealthy snacks for the big game.  While not everything was as great as I had hoped, there were some winners that will be making repeat performances at my house.  I have three foods, grilled chicken wings, baked onion rings and baked "fried zucchini".
First, the wings:
I found two recipes.  One hot and one not.   The hot one was a bunch of wings marinated in a mixture of pineapple juice, habenero pepper, sugar, garlic and soy.  For Amy, I made one that was soy based and sweet.  I marinated them overnight (I think).

Next, I got them grilling while I finished up some other things.  Amy's were good.  The texture was good, and the flavor was very good.  They were as good as I had hoped.

What about the hot ones?  A marginal success.  The texture was good.  I should note that neither was particularly crispy, but there was decent carmelization.  My complaint about the habenero wings was that the flavor didn't really get all up in those wings.  The flavor was faint and the spiciness was only detectable intermittently.  The hot wings really do need a sauce.

The verdict - I think grilled wings are a great option.  I think they might even be easier to make in some ways than regular fried wings.  Another bonus was that these wings were good sized, not the tiny ones you often get at a wing restaurant.  Similar to when I discovered how to make creme brulee at home, I feel like I have been given the keys to the safe and it's a good feeling.

Tomorrow - Baked "fried" Zucchini.



Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts