What spicy does for me.

Posted by Picasa
Mostly tasteless leftover chinese barbecued pork.  Blah.

Add chili paste and a bit of teriyaki sauce, Yay!

Some people ask why I eat such spicy foods.  Some may think I am a masochist. Maybe my taste buds are shot.  Maybe I am crazy.  The answer, of course, is none of these.  In fact, I eat spicy foods because it adds  a whole new dimension to the eating experience.  With spiciness, boring foods are exciting.  There is no such thing as eating and not being aware that you are eating, if the food is very spicy.  I feel like eating spicy foods truly improves my life.  I experience more of my life because I experience more of my meals.

The boring pork shown above, was really boring.  It was tough and had no real flavor.  The chili paste made it bright and more tasty.  Spiciness adds exponential enjoyment to food.  If you are a competitive person, spicy food gives you the opportunity to "beat" your fellow diners at eating as well, since you can try to eat the spiciest dish of the party.

Spiciness is also part of my life's philosophy.  I don't believe that life was intended to be all sweet and easy.  Spicy foods represent reality.  It hurts, it's different, it can make things difficult.  The question is, will you embrace it or fear it?  To me, embracing spiciness is embracing life.  All of it.

Comments

Popular Posts