Freeman's Natural Hotdogs - Unique - in a good way.

Posted by Picasa
I have been generally aware, for quite some time, that hot dogs = bad stuff.  Full of nitrates, pig anus, etc.    and that I should avoid them.  I don't.  I love them.  I won't apologize for it.  However, perhaps me and healthy eating can meet in the middle sometimes, like at Freeman's Natural Hotdogs, in Reno.

Frankly, I don't know what makes their hot dogs healthy.  I am just trusting them to save my life with their healthy hot dogs.  I have been driving by this place for about a year, and finally went in this March. I was met with pretty much what I expected.  A modern looking, pretty spare restaurant.  What I didn't expect, but liked, was a kids play area in the dining area so parents can chat longer without the kids driving them crazy.  Let me restate that - Freemans wants you to stay and chat.  Most places, though they might say otherwise, want you to get the hell out (that's why they use garish colors and subzero seating area temperatures).

So, the hot dogs.  They have natural hot dogs, sausages, veggie dogs.  The whole deal.  They have chips, you can have a side salad.  They have regular sodas and some specialty sodas.  Basically, if you were to envision a place that was going to specialize in hot dogs, this place has everything you would need to make it a place that everyone can enjoy.

I think I ordered a "durty south" hot dog.  It was quite tasty.  Blue cheese, carmelized onions, barbecue sauce and, of course, bacon.  They also have a number of bun choices.  Since I am such a health nut, I ordered it with wheat.   The hot dog was very tasty.  This might just be in my head, but I think the hot dog tasted "cleaner."  It was a good feeling and a good taste.  I thoroughly enjoyed my dog.


Like I said before, they have a lot of choices, I had a salad for my side.    I was very pleased with this salad.  May places would shove some stale iceberg lettuce with some ranch in front of you and wish you the best.  Not Freeman's.  They made a tasty and REAL salad for me.

My beverage choice, unfortunately, was the diet Virgil's soda.  That wasn't Freeman's fault, though.

I enjoyed Freeman's.  I want to go again and try more natural pork products.  If I had vegan or vegetarian friends in Reno, I'd certainly take them with me.  

Comments

Popular Posts