The Grill at Quail Corner - Appetizer feast!

I have developed a "spidey sense" when it comes to food.  My food senses are so refined, that I can drive past a place while on the phone, watching traffic, at 50 miles per hour, catch a glimpse of some neon lighting and know, without a doubt, that I have just passed a restaurant I need to try.  The Grill at Quail Corner is just such a place.  I was headed to my hotel from dinner.  It was nighttime, I was watching the road for my turn, and in the extreme portion of my right peripheral vision, I sensed a flash of neon lights and knew there was a good restaurant that I'd have to try later.  The next day, I went back, looking for the restaurant and found it.

I actually was faced with a dilemma.  The restaurant I saw was right next to a fondue restaurant.  I almost neglected the one I sensed for the one I found.  In the end, I went to The Grill.  I did not regret it.

It was packed.  The bar was packed and the restaurant was packed.  I had my camera and the hostess said she could seat me either in the very front or the very back.  I chose the back, I sometimes I am self conscious about my food photography and I don't want people watching me.  She took me to the back, after confirming a few times that I was sure I wanted to be all the way back there, and I had a nice seat that was as secluded as a seat could be in a restaurant that crowded.

The menu was large and looked delicious.  I was having  a hard time  a) choosing what to eat and b) not getting too much fatter in the process.  Ultimately, I had a brainstorm - I'd eat appetizers.  [caution - delusional statement approaching!] Every nutritionist knows that a meal of two appetizers and dessert is less calories and fat than a meal with a dessert.  Problem solved.

I started with the bacon wrapped scallop on a bed of pasta.  Having been to some fancy schmancy restaurants before (and this certainly looked like one of those), I expected two small scallops on two bites of pasta.  I was wrong.  An older couple seated near me noticed my scallop dish approaching and the husband told me he ordered that for lunch all the time.  I could see why.  This was no fancy schmancy micro serving.  This was a full serving of pasta under those delicious looking scallops.  Oh, and they were definitely delicious.

The only problem was that they were freshly prepared. So freshly prepared, that I burned the living $!$^@@ out of my mouth.  It bled a lot that night and the next morning when I brushed my teeth.  It was worth it, because these were delicious and the pasta was also very nice.




How about my second course?  Slices of grilled steak with french fries.  This was a truly beautiful dish to behold.  I am quite pleased with the dramatic plating and the pictures it produced.

It looked wonderful and was quite tasty.  It was just as it should have been.

Finally, dessert.  Here, I screwed up.  I misheard the server when she was telling me about the dessert options.  I didn't catch that the bundt cake was a "Nothing Bundt Cake."  I like "Nothing Bundt Cake", but I don't order it at restaurants.  I like something that restaurant made, not something they ordered from someone else.  The cake was fine.  I was disappointed, but it was my own fault.

I liked the Grill at Quail Corner.  It is lively, tasty, and to super expensive (but not super cheap).  

Comments

Popular Posts