Josef's Vienna Bakery & Cafe

Posted by Picasa
So, there I was.  In Reno, again.  It was breakfast time and, though I have a number of favorite places, I was on the hunt for something new.  Yelp! hooked me up with this place.  Josef's Vienna Bakery & Cafe is the kind of place I have been expecting to eat for years.  Powell, Wyoming, a town I lived in for a while, was supposedly very rich in bavarian influence.  There was a doughnut shop for quite some time that exhibited that influence.  There was Hansel & Gretel's, but otherwise, I felt like I was missing something.  I found it at Josef's.

What I was missing, was atmosphere combined with good, cultural food.  Here's how Josef's had it.  First, the first pic above shows, they really work on creating a Viennese feel.  Look at the interior- very bright, cute and overall, appropriate for what I thought they were after.

One of the complaints I read on Yelp!, dealt with slow service.  I saw no slow service.  Service was quite good.  The menu was also just right.  It had some old standbys as well as some clearly bavarian influenced dishes.  I ordered the apple and bacon scramble.  I was braced for some super tart and crunchy apples with super salty and crunchy bacon.  What I got, was much milder.  I haven't decided yet, if I am disappointed or not.

It tasted good.  The expected textures were there, if not a bit muted.  The expected flavors were there, if not a bit blended.  The potatoes were crispy and tasty.  I guess I won't complain.  They did a good job.  The little mini-danish was ok, not special and I didn't understand the lettuce leaf and piece of tomato - maybe it's a Viennese thing.

I ordered a hot chocolate to go.  It was beautiful.  I am sure it was from a mix, but I appreciated the presentation and it tasted good.

I left Josef's happy, full and wanting to go back.  Check it out.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
That looks really fun! You have some random selections.

Popular Posts