Ramen! With stuff!

I am going to pretend my brother-in-law Josh is a reader.  By doing that I can pretend that this a reader submitted item that I am cooking and sharing.

On my birthday (pronounced "burfday"), I visited and stayed with my sister and her hubby, Josh.  Josh a firefighter, long board designer/manufacturer and super cool guy, gave me two packages of this stuff.  I don't really know why he did it, I am very glad he did.

So, I don't know how to pronounce it, but it is some sort of Indonesian version of Ramen.  I don't know what flavor it is supposed to replicate or anything.  In reading the instructions, I see that the main difference is that this supposed to be prepared like a noodle dish, not a soup.  Incidentally, Indonesia, I have been doing that to regular Ramen for years. Add a little butter and/or processed cheese and BAM, noodle dish.

Anywho, another big difference was, the four, count them, FOUR, seasoning packets.  Black stuff, oily stuff, whitish stuff and reddish stuff.


I presume the black stuff is soy sauce-ish.  The red stuff was labelled pepper seasoning.  The white stuff was regular seasoning and the oily stuff was labeled as "oil."  I put it on a plate and waited for the noodles to cook.

Meanwhile, I remembered I had a hambone in the fridge, and chopped some meat off of it to make a saimin - type thing.  The noodles got done and I tossed it all together like a salad.

Result: Tasty.  It was distinct from regular ramen in flavor.  Textures were the same.  Despite adding the entire packet of pepper seasoning, it wasn't very hot.  This was easily remedied by adding Tapatio.  With my other packet, I boiled an egg and chopped up a bell pepper to add some depth.  It was also pretty good.

I will actually look for this stuff, whatever it is, at my local asian market.  It was a nice change from regular ramen noodles and  I would like some more.

Comments

oh yum! i rememeber buying a box of those and bringing it back home when i visited bali!
Anonymous said…
I had to check my blog address twice. I wasn't sure this was you. Wow! I love what you did with the place. I really really love this post! Thanks for the kind words. Josh was actually asking if those actually made it home with you. He really wanted you to try them. They are so dang cheap and light I will send you some more with different flavors for you to experiement with. I love them. I know they wouldn't be hot enough for you, but the funny thing is I just sprinkle a dash of the pepper because I think it is too hot quickly. Anywho, I am sending a link to Josh. He will love it.
Anonymous said…
I forgot to say how tasty and clever your add-ins were.

Popular Posts