Individual Croissant Bread Puddings, the best dessert I've made

Again, Epicurious gave me the power to make Mother's Day totally rockin'! (Sorry, I'm a bit exuberant, Adventure Time with Finn & Jake kind of rubs off on me). To finish up the meal, Amy selected the individual croissant bread puddings with chocolate.

Because there were six people in the house, I doubled the recipe which claimed to make two individual puddings. The fact is, the servings are huge and there were leftovers. I would consider putting it in one pan and doing one batch for three people, unless everyone is trying to get fat.

A brief review of the ingredients reveals how decadant this recipe is: four egg yolks, 1.5 cups sugar, three whole croissants, a cup or two of cream, pecans. I mean, this recipe is not screwing around. It is bringing the goodness, and isn't stopping to count the cost.

I actually ran into a couple of problems with this recipe. First, I could tell from the ingredients that this was supposed to be custard-y. The only other custard I am familiar with is creme brulee. So, when I was adding egg yolks to sugar and salt, I was disturbed when the ratios were so off, that you couldn't beat the yolk and sugar mixture into a pale yellow cream. There was so much sugar, that the sugar never dissolved. I added a couple more egg yolks, but never got the texture I expected. (the only other change I made to the recipe was I omitted the dried cherries) I say "expected" because I still am not sure if it was supposed to be like creme brulee, or not. In the end, it tasted fantastic, so maybe I had the right texture. Or, maybe these ingredients are magical, and no matter what combination you apply them in, the result is fantastic.

The other problem was the serving size.  Actually, that wasn't a problem, I just got really sleepy afterwards.

Anywho, I steeped the cream with the vanilla bean. I love vanilla beans. The seeds are so tiny. I always wonder if that is any less impressive that something as wonderful as vanilla comes from those tiny seeds than that a mustard tree comes from its tiny little seeds.

After the hot cream mixture is mixed with the yolk/sugar mixture, it goes on the ripped up croissants. After a short wait, into the ramekins. Top with toasted pecans and bits of bittersweet chocolate and BLAMMO! Into the oven.

Let me tell you, and I am not trying to brag, these rocked! I don't feel like I am bragging, because there really isn't much skill involved. You mix, mix, pour, top and bake. That's it.

I was very happy with the result. It was truly decadant, delicious, and rich. I needed a serious nap (and a jog) after eating mine (yes, I ate the whole damn thing). The adults all loved it and it is on the short list of desserts that must make a return appearance.

Two lessons:
1. Look at your ingredients. Some ingredients are always great together. Just like the A-Team (can you think of a bad A-Team episode?). If you are not feeling particularly skilled and somthing like a souffle or creme brulee seem intimidating, try something like this. Similar ingredients, easier technique and great results.
2. Epicurious (the iPhone app and the website) are great resources for recipes. I have been highly pleased with what I have cooked from them.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Great pictures. I appreciate the confidence you give the readers in attempting such a delicious recipe themselves. Pretty fun read. Definitely worth the wait. I am off to check this epicurious website.

Popular Posts