Memorial Day Food



Posted by Picasa
Memorial Day.  We remembered, and we ate.  I have talked about skewers before, and I'm doing it again today.  We had some friends over who we hadn't seen in a while.  They were close to being long lost friends. Anyway, we did chicken, tri-tip and vegetables.  Amy did a quinoa salad.  This meal was noteworthy for a few reasons.

One:  My marinade.  I got a simple marinade online.  It  was based on lemon, fresh thyme, garlic, rosemary, olive oil and salt.  This is a simple, almost archetypical, marinade - acid, oil and salt.  It comes out creamy yellow and was easy to make.  I also like it because I was able to use rosemary from the yard.

Two: Flexible skewers.  Williams Sonoma convinced us to buy flexible skewers.  They are a steel cable with a pokey end and a loop end.  Poke the pokey part through the food and thread it towards the loop.  These are about 24 inches long and they are fantastic.  Being flexible means you can adjust the shape of the skewer to whatever space is left on your grill.  It also holds WAY more food than a regular skewer.

Three: I love summer grilling.  There is simply nothing like applying fire to food. End of story.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can taste your yummy tender bbq now! Was this marinade on epicurious? I want to try it.
khbaird said…
Hank Hill would have to agree with you about summer grilling. Taste the meat not the heat!
love your words and your picks! oh and you too!!!
Jon said…
Great post. It's 4pm and after looking at this post I'm starving.

Popular Posts