Han Shik Taco - Korean Taco Truck





Posted by Picasa
I had noone to eat with, and was resigned to eating at Jack in the Box ( I think they were offering free funnel cake, so all was not lost)when I saw an interesting looking Taco Truck.  First, a bit of background on taco trucks.  I love them.  Can there be a dining establishment that is more of a "hole in the wall" when it isn't even part of a wall?  I submit that there can not.  My first taco truck experience happened in Flagstaff, AZ.  That is where I discovered the beauty of tacos al pastor.  Later, the taco truck guy was convicted of drug dealing.  The next summer, I was back eating tacos at that truck. Suffice it to say, I love tacos from mobile restaurants.

So, Han Shik.  I saw the trailer and the sign.  It said "tacos from the Seoul", which, since I was driving, didn't realize it was a reference to Korea.  I thought these were would food tacos - maybe with grits and bbq or catfish.  I got up there and the guy was real friendly.  He told me his name, but I forgot it.  He has a cool story - was in the wine selling business, got sick of it, followed his dream of owning a restaurant.

Here is probably my favorite thing about Han Shik - the menu. Check this out:



What I love is that there are standard items - tacos, burritos, dessert and beverages.  I also LOVE that he has planned for spontaneity.  It's hard to see in my pic, but in the lower left corner, there are question marks.  For $3, you can have something that  is new or different.  He has planned for it by putting it on the menu, but hasn't locked himself into a particular item.  It's great.

So what did I get?  I got the mystery item (it turned out to be a Korean hot dog), a taco, the dessert (fried dough) and fries.  How was it?  Good.  I liked it.  The "Korean" part of it seems to be the seasonings and marinated cabbage (Kim Chee?).  It was a good change and represents a restaurant principle I respect - have a limited number of really good ingredients and base your entire menu out of them.  This way, though your menu is limited, everything is really good.

What was my favorite?  The hot dog was great.  It was a regular hot dog with the cabbage stuff on it.  It was a new flavor for me and I enjoyed it.  the fried dough dessert was pretty good also.  The tacos were fine, but I need to eat them a few more times to see if I like the novelty or actually like the taste.

Regardless, Korean taco trucks are hard to come by.  If you are going to Lee's Liquor on West Lake Mead, stop by Han Shik.  The food is good and the guy is cool.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome Place-Give it a try-You won't be disappointed.

Popular Posts