Fair Food 2010 - steak dinner

Ok, I will try to do these "fair food" posts a bit more quickly than my usuals.  There isn't much to say, without getting into a big anthropological/cultural discourse about what these foods mean.  Every year,  I try to get to the Cassia County Fair and Rodeo in Burley, Idaho.  Amy's family is there and it is a great time.  It is also a time to eat  and eat and eat.  This begins my 2010 fair food log:

First, steak dinner at the fair.  I have heard of "all you can eat" steak nights and other cheap steak events and have wondered if it's any good.  I, for one, take some care with my steaks, because I love them and want them to grow up and be happy.  So, I was concerned that fair steaks would be uncouth and ill-mannered.  They were and they weren't.

The flavor was interesting.  The steak was marinated in a sweet marinade, teryaki-ish, but not clearly teriyaki.  The steak wasn't as tough as  I feared it would be and tasted good.  Another plus was that I got it about three minutes after I ordered it.

I also have to say, that Idaho potatoes are noticeably good.   We like to try to bring a box of potatoes home when we can, because they are so good.

Overall, this was very non-traditional fair food.  I would actually argue this wasn't technically fair food, it was a regular restaurant meal, served at a fair.   The iceberg lettuce salad and roll were exactly what you would expect, and, thus, don't merit much discussion.

So, it was mostly a success.  Great potato, good steak.  It was also a unique fair entry.    

Comments

Popular Posts