I didn't know barbecuing shrimp was so easy.

Posted by Picasa
I'll keep this one short.  Three things: 1. I need to make a custom white balance setting for my camera, my kitchen is not that yellow in real life.  2. Shrimp are easy to cook.  3.  You should cook shrimp.

Seafood is weird and scary to cook.  I don't know if I will ever prepare my own octopus or squid.  Why?  Because I saw 20,000 leagues under the sea as a kid and do not want to reenact the climactic scene in my kitchen.  Seafood is also scary because it must be cooked in a counterintuitive way.  The fact is, most people overcook their seafood.  There are probably two reasons for this.  One is that if you have less than fresh seafood, you might be trying to cook the smell out (subconsciously).  The other is that we might see seafood as a a food to be cooked like chicken, which is not true.

The simple fact is, most seafood needs to be cooked just slightly less than you think it should.  I know the cookbooks usually say to cook it until it is "opaque", which is no longer see through.  It sounds kind of vague, and it is, but I interpret that to mean you should take care not to dry out your seafood.

Shrimp are particularly sensitive in this regard.  I had never barbecued (or cooked much) shrimp before.  My mother in law provided me with a curry spice that i had never tried and I decided I had a surplus of bacon.  Logically, that led me to barbecue some shrimp.  I wrapped the shrimp in bacon using my snazzy wire skewers . . . and that's all.  The other shrimp, I spritzed with olive oil and sprinkled with seasoning, also threading them on the wire skewer.

Next, I grilled them.  I cooked the bacon ones just long enough to cook the bacon and the non-bacon ones a little less.  It was that simple.  You have to watch the bacon, because it LOVES to flame up and coat your food in an aerosolized grease blanket - which is not as tasty as it sounds.

Finally, I ate them and they were good.  There is nothing else to it.  Try it.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wish I could write like you. The end.

Popular Posts