Soul Food for Breakfast!

M&M Soul Food.  I've been there a few times, and I've written about it on this site before as well.  However, I, being a kid from Wyoming, am simply not well versed in Southern cooking and, thus, soul food.  So, when I ended up downtown in Vegas, with a bit of time on my hands in the morning, I thought I would head to M&M and grab a bite.

As I drove over, I envisioned biscuits and gravy, or chicken and waffles, or grits.  In my mind, those were my soul food breakfast options.  Indeed, the standards were there.  But, something else was there, too.

Salmon Croquettes.  Sounds cajun and different.  Of course I ordered them.  In my mind, I would be receiving a salmon fillet, with some herbs and seasonings, pan fried.  I was wrong.  What I got were salmon patties, with seasonings and herbs, breaded and fried.

Was it a bad thing, or a good thing?  It was ok.  The main problem with the dish was that I expected something very different.  It tasted good and had a good texture, so I really shouldn't complain.  However, I couldn't help but think I was eating the seafood version of spam.

Don't get me wrong.  I am sure that M&M properly prepared and cooked this dish.  I am sure it was a fine execution that tasted as it should.  In fact, I liked it.  But it did bring to mind seafood spam.  But don't feel bad, salmon croquette, I liked you.  Even though your eating experience reminded me of seafood spam, I liked you.  When I first tried scrapple, I thought of spam, but I didn't really like it.  So, there's that, too.

Ok, lets note one other thing.  Toasted biscuits!  Bread is bread.  But it isn't.  Every where you go, there are usually two bread options especially at breakfast - white or wheat.  If you're lucky, you can have a biscuit.  At M&M, you can have a biscuit, but look.  It is toasted - actually, it is probably fried with a little butter.  Either way, it is a kick ass way to do your breakfast bread.

I gotta get back to M&M, and see what other crazy things I am not yet eating for breakfast.



Comments

Popular Posts