Curbside Cafe, great seafood tacos and more

I first need to apologize for the crappy photos I took of the cuisine from Curbside Cafe.  It was sloppy and I apologize.

I work across the street from the Courthouse here, in Vegas, and it makes perfect sense that food trucks would come by and hang around at lunch time.  Prior to this year, my involvement with food truck was really just buying really good and fresh tacos al pastor.  In fact, I called them taco trucks, not food trucks.  Then, when I went to Han Shik, it didn't help matters, because even though they were Korean tacos, they were still tacos.

After hitting Slidin' Thru, Top Notch and TastyBunz, I now acknowledge that all types of food area available from food trucks.  Curbside Cafe is a perfect example.

Before Curbside Cafe, I had calamari tacos on one occasion - on a beach in Hawaii.  It was  good taco.  The squid was fresh and tender.  Then, I went to Curbside Cafe and ordered a calamari taco and a mahi mahi taco.  They were amazing.

First, the calamari.  It was just barely breaded, freshly fried and super tender.  The seasoning was perfect.  The taco was a lot of cabbage with Curbside's "Sonoran sauce", some pico de gallo and two tortillas.  It all comes together in amazing bites.  Great textures, spices and flavors that are clearly, and appropriately, governed by the perfectly cooked calamari.

How about the mahi mahi?  I have been a vocal advocate of the mahi mahi fish tacos at San Felipe's Cantina for about 13 years.  I have never had a fish taco that came close to the delicious goodness of a San Felipe's taco.  Now, San Felipe's has a competitor.  I don't think Curbside beats San Felipe's, because there is something mindblowing about San Felipe's sweet sauce.  But, in some ways I prefer the Curbside taco because it is spicier.  The mahi mahi is fresh (my friend says he saw them slicing a chunk off a larger chunk, which would indicate that they aren't buying frozen, prepackaged servings of fish).  They grill it on a griddle and serve it the same as the calamari tacos.  It's great.

They have fries - regular and sweet potato.  They are both great.  The regular fries are perfectly crunchy. The sweet potato fries are just like other good sweet potato fries - just a touch crunchy, but tender on the inside.

They also have other things - burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, hot links (depending on the day) and hot dogs.  I tried a Sonoran Hot Dog.

Like the tacos, and a lot of smalll venue eateries, Curbside doesn't have 50 thousand ingredients.  Understandably, then, they don't have a lot of different sauces.  So, you shouldn't be surprised that the Sonoran Sauce from the tacos is the sauce that makes a Sonoran Hot Dog.  You also shouldn't be disappointed.  Not only does Curbside liberally apply the spicy sonoran sauce, but they add bacon, onion straws and pico de gallo.  It is a stunning combination.

I must also add that I am not unique in my love for Curbside Cafe.  Everyone I have taken there loves it. Find them, and buy their food.  You'll be glad you did.

Comments

Popular Posts