I Don't Drink Coffee, but I'll Review the Hell out of a Coffee Shop

I don't drink coffee.  It looks good, smells great, but I don't drink it (I've been diagnosed with a rare form of Mormonism, which makes it hard to drink coffee).  However, coffee places have been known to have some right tasty food.  A friend recommended I try Makers and Finders Coffee, and I always do what my friends say (peer pressure rocks!).  This review is a bit premature as I've only been once, but it was good enough to warrant a quick comment.  

First, let's talk about the atmosphere.  It is decidedly hipster/Hispanic.  I saw real live rich hippie types (hippies who shower, but seem reallllly committed to peace, love and no undergarments). That let me know this place was legit.  
 

There were people on laptops, hippies and vague electronics playing in the background.  All relevant pipes were exposed. Yep, this place has hipster cred.  Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing.  Hipster places, while somewhat formulaic, frequently nail the food, in spite of the alienating clientele.  

So what about the food?  Let's start with my friend's salad.  
 
My friend said it was good and that he'd get it again.  That means something, because this friend (whose name rhymes with "huck") doesn't like good things.  He only likes mediocre things.  So, if he thought it was fine, that means it was not mediocre (or he would have loved it).  Since he is willing to eat it again, it must not be terrible.  Ipso facto, a normal person probably would have loved it (assuming they like tuna salad).

My other friend (yes, I two of them), had an arepa.  Arepas are very poorly named, unless you are somehow pro-sexual assault.  You cannot say loudly in a public place that you like arepas.  It is a food whose name is fraught with unintended meanings.  Now, my friend offered me a bit of her arepas, but I declined.  We aren't that good of friends.  However, her dish looked really nice:
 
The arepa was open faced and that is a pulled beef, I believe.  Looks good and I'm told it was tasty.  Nice presentation for a coffee shop plate.

Finally, we arrive at my meal.  I ordered the Benedict arepas. 
 
The tomatos added a very fresh flavor that really made the dish feel less heavy, a real problem when your entree is smothered in what is basically an egg-yolk sauce.  The meat was very tender and tasty while the hollandaise had a nice bite.  

So, there you have it.  Can you tell I was super busy this weekend and didn't have the time to dive into a bigger blog post?  Well, I was that busy.  But, don't let my economy of words (that was a joke) short change Makers & Finders.  It's quite good food, in a fun part of town with a nice atmosphere.  There are roughly a billion pokestops thereabouts as well, if you're into that kind of thing.  

Comments

Popular Posts