Hi South Korean Audience, are you guys ex-pats or real live South Koreans?

Hi Folks,
I mentioned before that I check the blog's stats, from time to time.  One of the options available to me is to show in what country my "clicks" originate.  Usually, the majority originate from the good old US of A.  There have been a smattering from originating in Europe, some from Russia and then very few from the rest of the world.  Recently, however, I have noticed that South Korea has been a significant source of traffic (significant being a VERY relative term as it relates to a low volume blog like this).  Earlier this week, there were a few days where traffic from South Korea was nearly double that of American clicks.  

My first thought was, "I know a total of six people in South Korea [three of them are under the age of 7], surely they are the the source of this traffic."  Barring some recent obsessive affliction befalling my few friends in South Korea, it seems that there may be some real live South Koreans reading this blog [and that sentence reminds me of the old book from Sesame Street called "The Monster at the End of This Book"].  So, hi there, South Koreans.  I have a few questions.

First, what in the world could you find appealing in this blog?  As I write this question, I am again doubting the reliability of Google's stat-bots.  The majority of my posts are highly localized and rarely mention anything remotely related to your homeland.  I cannot fathom why someone from South Korea would ever read what I put in this blog. 

Second, how can I help you?  Since my audience is so small, and a generous portion of my audience is reading only as a personal favor to me (which means they will read regardless of what subject happens to be), you have the power to have real influence on the direction of my content.  Do you want me to talk about dogs?  I can make it happen.  Do you want me to review commercials for local personal injury attorneys?  Consider it done.  Do you want to send me questions that I will answer with pictures or experiences from Las Vegas or my own life.  Why the hell not?  South Korea, I'm willing to do (some) of what it takes to make our new relationship work.  Let's give it a shot.

Finally, do you want to know what I think I know about you?  I thought you would.  Remember, I am not trying to be offensive, but this is my impression of you.

My grandfather was in your country during the Korean War (question - what do you call it?).  From what he told me, that war was rough (well, duh).  I feel like his stories about the hardships of the war (more for you than for him), make me not speak lightly of armed conflict. I feel like if we paid attention to the human cost of your war and others (like what is happening in Syria right now), it might change the way we calculate when and why to enter into a war.  I realize it is not like the movies.  His stories about the war did not feature a lot of Korean people, because they were not part of his army.  The stories I did hear portrayed you as humans, which says a lot about my grandfather, but also says plenty about you.  He never told a story about any "bad Koreans" acting like animals.  It would be understandable if you did, because war can do that to a country, but I have not heard that you did.  But, of course, I'm sure you are not defined by this war alone.  I also wonder, if you resent the fact that in the US, we don't know anything about you before that war.  

Next, I love bulgogi.  I think it's great.  I feel like nations that have had trouble in the past with food supply (which is most nations), often come up with some really good ways to make the most of their meat.  With Mexicans, it is carne asada.  With the Japanese, it is yakitori or, better yet, teriyaki.  Watching what cultures that used to have scarce meat available to them do to really make what meat they have count, is kind of inspiring.  It is also a little embarrassing to look from bulgogi (scarce meat leading to super flavorful meat that flavors a disproportionate amount of rice and veggies), to sloppy joes (Which is a pile of meat that barely flavors the bun on which it sits) as an example (I know, we have our own meat-scarce recipes, but I feel like since the 1800's, our culture has not lacked for meat, judging by how many bison were left by the time that century ended).  Anyway, bulgogi, it follows the traits of other meat-scarce foods.  Tons of flavor (it has to flavor the whole dish), tender and thin.  It is one of the messiest things we cook at my house, but even my clean-freak wife is willing to endure the mess from time to time for the fantastic taste of bulgogi. BTW, I am probably going to blog about a Korean/Mexican place and its great bulgogi pretty soon.  Stick around.  

I also think I know that you love the newest toys.  You and me, we love gadgets together. I read the gadget blogs and you guys seem to live out my dream (which is to get ALL THE GADGETS, ALL OF THEM).  You guys make great gadgets and you buy great gadgets.  It's peak consumerism, and I'm a bit jealous.  BTW, sorry about the Galaxy 7 fiasco.  I'm an Apple guy, but I feel bad for Samsung (and, by extension, you all).  

So, I guess we can consider this a speed date, South Korea?  I hope you will give me a call.  Let's build something beautiful (or something awkward, the internet doesn't care if it's comfortable, it just wants content, baby!) together.  

I am pasting this image of your flag to show you that I know how to use Google:


I humbly await your response.  

Comments

I checked my blog and over the past month almost 10% of my clicks are from South Korea. Could it be that we have gained the global awareness that we deserve? Have we been targeted as entry points for an overt conspiracy to topple western civilization? My head is swirling with the possibilities.

Popular Posts