Fresh, Simple Flavors

Posted by Picasa
I went to the grocery store for a very short list of items, and, again, one purchase led to twenty.  I needed fresh basil for a recipe I made (that will be discussed shortly), but they only had a big package.  So, I bought some fresh mozarella and tomatoes to make a little salad.

We've all seen this salad, it is frequently an appetizer at an italian restaurant.  I like it because it is, like I have a said about other items on this blog, elemental.  This dish consists of just a few key flavors.  Not just any flavors either, they are basic flavors that pop up everywhere in cooking.  It is a basic meeting of basic flavors.

Anywho, it's pretty, it's tasty, it's classic.  I tried to make it an attractive plate, I guess I half succeeded.  Sliced the tomatoes, sliced the mozarrella, sliced the basil leaves, drizzled balsamic vinegar and olive oil, added a bit of sea salt.  Ate the heck out of it.

I posted this because it is uncomplicated, easy to make and the type of food that should be periodically eaten, to remind yourself of the simple beauty available from simple dishes and flavors.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wonderfully written. That is my favorite dish to make with tomatoes. Yum!

Popular Posts