I have a cool office manager

I have been busy, it's a cop out, I know.  I have taken some shots of some food - a recent fiasco at home - and have plans for more stuff.  I have a big project I want to start soon as well.  This means, this blog will be even more directionless and inconsistent than it was before.  Sorry about that.

In the meantime, anyone who works in an office, knows that office managers can be like the Stewards of Gondor.  They exercise a lot of someone else's power.  Power, in the hands of some, is a bad thing.  In my office, however, we have a cool office manager. She sends out emails with announcements and such.  I have gotten in trouble in the past for hitting "reply to all" and saying something smart-assed about a company policy.  Now, I just hit "reply" and send a smart assed comment to the office manager.  So far, I haven't crossed any line and gotten in trouble.  Here's yesterdays exchange:

It starts with an FYI regarding an upcoming work activity:

From:*******
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:21 PMTo: *****Subject: Save the Date

The annual baseball night at the Las Vegas 51’s will be Friday, April 30. You and your immediate family are invited to attend. We will enjoy hamburgers and hotdogs, as well as snacks and beverages.

I will be asking for a headcount closer to the event date, so no need to reply now.

*************
Firm Administrator
***************

I decided to be a smart ass and sent this reply.  I was mildly concerned I had gone to far, but I bravely just waited her out:

From: RK ***** Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:30 PMTo: *******
Subject: RE: Save the Date

“We will enjoy hamburgers and hotdogs, as well as snacks and beverages.”  I think I will enjoy whatever I damn well please, madam.


It wasn't too long, before I got this fantastic reply:

No, you will do what I tell you to do. And if that entails enjoying grilled meat products and cold carbonated drinks, you will do it. No complaining. You will smile and say thank you.

************
Firm Administrator

Of course, I had to acknowledge the perfect reply from my superior:

You’re right.  Again.  Please don’t tell The Guys.

From: RK*******


I think this is the opposite of the "office politics" everybody talks about.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well well ! Don't you live dangerously!
Does Emily know that she made your blog?
Rkade said…
She probably doesn't.

Popular Posts