Seafood Pretty Beach - Fish Tacos!


The restaurant is called Mariscos Playa Hermosa.  Directly translated, this means "Seafood Pretty Beach."  It sounds so funny, it makes me want to open up a place with that name in english.  


I may have mentioned San Felipe's cantina's fish tacos before.  I have long considered them to be not only the best fish tacos in the known world, but to exemplify the perfect fish taco.  They are texturally, flavorwise and size wise the perfect fish taco.  On our anniversary trip to Phoenix, my brother told me he had found a place with tacos that were different, but rival to San Felipes.  I had to try them.

Mariscos Playa Hermosa (henceforth known as MPH) is in the part of town that should have great fish tacos.  The colors are fantastic and very festive.  Our server, who I also suspect is the owner, was great.  He was conscientious and accomodating.  He gave us all free ceviche.  I think I was the only one who ate it.  I had actually never had it before and had always thought it was done only with shrimp.  This one seemed to be made of salmon.  It was light, citrus-y and tasty.

My kids are super picky, especially with mexican food.  Liam just wanted nachos and, though it wasn't on the menu, our server made some anyway.

I ordered the fish tacos.  They were, indeed, different.

Karson, it turns out, was right.  They could rival San Felipe's, but they were also different.  Instead of cabbage, fried fish and a light sauce, these focused on a creamy sauce, cheese and a baked or grilled fish.  It was unexpected and different from any fish taco I had ever had before.  Judging by the collection of reviews and awards on the wall, I was not the only one.

Parting thought - I really like this place.  I liked the food, I liked the colors and I really liked the service.  Beyond that, the bathroom was fantastic.  I hope this place is around for a long time.  I'd like to sample more of their menu.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the last sentence the most! Come on down! Better yet, MOVE!
khbaird said…
I have never been in the bathroom there yet but I will save up and make the trip next time!
shawn would be proud that you mentioned the bathroom. i agree with everything that you said except the rivalry part. they were interesting but didn't blow my mind! just my opinion

Popular Posts