Tastee Freeze in Wickenburg- all over the place



I'm all out of order here.  I posted pictures from the Desert Botanical Gardens, which we visited on the last day of our short anniversary trip, but this entry is from the first day of our trip.  Hope this time travel doesn't make anyone dizzy.

On the way to Phoenix, we always go through Wickenburg.  It's an interesting town, I would like to stay there sometime.  It usually works out that it is time to eat when we get there.  Unfortunately, there isn' t much in Wickenburg.  One place that is becoming a regular stop, is the Tastee Freeze in Wickenburg.

Wickenburg is typical of small town food.  When you are one of the only shows in town, you have to please everybody to survive.  As such, small town spots have HUGE menus.  The answer to every question of "how to cook this" question at a place like this, is "fry it."  Tastee Freeze is no exception.  It usually takes forever to decide what fried item to eat, because there are so many options.  On this trip, however, it was easy.

Sometimes, I think I might be to willing to try new things.  One of the new specials was a red hot burger - green chile, chipotle sauce, pepper jack cheese, jalepenos and Frank's Red Hot Sauce.  But, the way it was written on the sign, made me think that it was a burger with "franks", that is, hot dogs.  And I ordered it.  I thought the Tastee Freeze had answered the age-old barbecue question - burger or hot dog? - by saying "both.

Anyway, they also offered "green chile fries" which I had  to order.  I assumed this was like standard "chili fries", that is - potato fries with chili on them.  Wrong again, Kade.  These were strips of green chile, breaded and fried.

But, how was it all?  Not bad.  My burger was quite tasty and spicy.  Well cooked and flavored.  More interesting were the chile fries.  they were crispy and had good flavor.  As you'll see before, every now and then, the greasy spoon's answer to everything was right.  Fried green chiles are a nice change from fries and sweet potato fries.

McKinna ordered a pizza.  It was not unlike a truck stop pizza.  mass produced crust, generic sauce and very rubbery cheese.  Of course, she liked it.

Liam ordered a burger.  It was ok (he actually got two - someone else's and his).

Amy's order exposed the weakness in this jack of all trades cooking philosophy.  She ordered a philly cheese steak.  The meat was just not good.  The vegetables undercooked.  Why?  Because they probably had to microwave it.

Her onion rings, however, were delicious.


Overall, I liked it.  I'm from a small town.  I understand what brings these places into existence and how important they are to the towns they serve.  When it comes down to it, the food is kind of fun and often good.    I won't mind stopping there next time we come through.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your pictures actualy make that food look good. Real good. I love Amy posing her sandwich for the picture.

Popular Posts