Dessert at Bouchon


When Amy's folks come over, they get royally ripped off.  We are here, in Vegas, where there is a ton to do and a ton of great restaurants.  When Amy's folks are here, they babysit and Amy and I go, do and eat the stuff that we should be making sure her folks do.  Well, last time Amy's mom came down, I made sure we took her down to the Venetian and we grabbed dessert at Bouchon.

Here's what I've been told about Bouchon.  It is French.  It is real French.  It is relatively simple, that is - it is not new French food, it is old French food.  It is probably as good in technique as French food gets.  Another way to put it:  If you want to taste what a certain classic French dish should taste like, a reference, if you will, you go to Bouchon.  It's proprietor is Thomas Keller.  He's a big fancy dude who is more French (when it comes to cooking) than the French (not really, but close).

I called Bouchon to see if we needed a reservation to show up for dessert, they said we didn't and that we could even just sit in the lounge and have dessert.  We did.  We got up there and told them what we wanted and they put us in the lounge.  It was funny, though we felt as bit like "untouchables" (in the bad way) due to our separation from the regular diners over the pony wall.  If I had better self esteem that probably wouldn't be an issue.

Cathi was plenty stoked about being there.  We read the menu and ordered nearly one of every dessert they offered.

Cathi got the Isle de Flottant (I don't remember the spelling or even if this is 100% the correct name).  This appeared to be some sort of boiled meringue in a vanilla creme-y sea.  It was so light, so delicate.  Eating it was like playing with butterfly wings while trying not to break them.  It was beautiful, but fragile.  Great flavor that had a richness that belied it's lightness.

Next, I ordered the Bouchon.  These are little cork shaped brownies with tiny scoops of ice cream.  I got mine with peanut butter, almond and one other that I have forgotten.  The brownies were a bit dry, but had good flavor.  The ice creams, however, were fantastic.  The flavors and textures were right on.

Amy got a caramel custard.  She was disappointed to see it was French flan.  I tried it and she was correct, however, I like flan and, thus, like French flan.  It was caremelly, custardy and light.

The kids got ice cream.  I think they got Vanilla with a hot fudge sauce.  They loved it.  The sauce was great, I stole some for the brownies.

Most of the desserts were spectacular.  The whole experience was quite awesome.  The kids, I think, loved their little table and little silver fudge container. The service was great and the institutional knowledge regarding the food was excellent.  We didn't feel as though anyone was condescending, even though this is quite the fancy joint.

I have also been told this place is a great place for breakfast (and a bit cheaper for breakfast than dinner).  I will certainly be posting when I can confirm that.

Comments

I have to laugh at this because you have all these pictures of fancy desserts and all the talk about the fancy restaurant and then you get to the last picture of our kids aka "the orphans"!!!
sophia said…
So. I guess Bouchon IS a big deal. I've only ever visited its bakery and even then, just lusted over the goodies through a closing window. So sad.

Popular Posts