Gold & Silver in Reno - I no longer hate this place


One of my first posts ever on this blog trashed a "fictional" place for not being good.  The salad was pathetic and the rolls were weird.  Blah, blah, blah.  Well, I have to upgrade the Gold and Silver from utter crap, to simply having an inconsistent menu.  To kick off both weeks one and two of a two week trial in Reno, we went to the Gold and Silver for lunch.  I wasn't excited, but was told Guy Fieri had stopped by and identified some winning dishes.  I tried them.

First, the Tri-tip steak sandwich with burgundy sauce.  Wow.  That was right tasty.  The tri-tip, an underrated cut of meat, was great, showcasing the strengths of the cut - tender and tasty, but not pricey.  The burgundy sauce was also wonderful.  The flavor was big and rich, just what the sandwich needed.






The next week, I tried the lemonade pork chops, which are reportedly so popular that they sometimes run out.  It appears that the theory with the lemonade pork chops is that they must marinate them in lemonade and then sauce them.  I think that is the case, because the pork chop tastes "cured", not cooked.  I'm not complaining, just explaining.  My boss noticed this as well - but he didn't seem happy about it.  The sauce is great.  A tiny bit tart, a big bit tasty, this is a great diner entree.

So, do I now love Gold and Silver?  I don't know about that.  I guess I need to try some desserts first.  As it stands, it is a good place, it has some great dishes, but hasn't convinced me it is worthy of elite status yet. 

Comments

Heather said…
I just watched that episode of DDD this weekend. I didn't think Guy seemed completely convinced about Gold and Silver either. I enjoy the show, but of the places he has reviewed in Omaha, only one is worth eating at in my opinion. I think sometimes he gets booked going to places for their historical value more than their food value, and you can tell when he isn't as sincere about loving the food.

Popular Posts