Wild River Grill - marathon of goodness

Posted by Picasa
Trials are funny things.  You spend an inordinate amount of time (years) getting the case ready to trial.  All sorts of things have to happen, along with luck (good or bad) to prevent settlement, then you do the fevered preparation in the weeks leading up to it.  Then, you spend all day in Court, and all night preparing for your day in Court till trial is done.

Of course, one of my big concerns when I am in trial, is my food.  Too often, you are relegated to a sub par deli or fast food since the judge doesn't usually give out two hour lunches.  However, I had to good fortune of trying a case in Reno a short time ago, and LOVED the food situation.

Every single day, for lunch, we went to the Wild River Grill.  Every day.  Without fail.  There was never any discussion of the possibility of any other place.  At first, my gastronomic wanderlust objected, silently - because I am an associate, not a partner.  But, after I ate meal after meal, without a single disappointment, I really decided that I was happy to have been stuck there.

Here are four samples (a fifth gets it's own post since I tried to recreate it at home).

1. Cheese Plate.  Did I mention that I ate every appetizer on the menu as a meal?  This was a great cheese plate.  The cheeses were predictable in selection and quality - which was fine.  The accompaniments were mostly predictable-except for the roasted grapes.  I had never heard of, nor eaten, roasted grapes.  I tried one, it was good.  Seemed almost sweeter.  I ate them all. That baguette, was especially noteworthy.  Perfectly crispy, but not hard to bite.  After a lifetime of eating almost-right baguette, you start to think that is just how they are, but then, you eat perfection.  A baguette slice seems like a small thing, but when it's perfect, it changes your whole day.


2. French Fries.  I think this picture is from the day I had the cheese plate.  I combined my blue cheese with fries.  They were perfect.  Nicely seasoned, perfectly textured (crispy, but not too).  Exactly what a side should be - a delightful detour from your main dish.

3. Steak Sandwich - I don't remember what cut of beef this was.  It doesn't matter.  It was delicious!  Tender and flavorful, it was further evidence that that chef of this eatery loved me.  All the details were carefully prepared and executed.  Everything tasted fresh, no iceberg lettuce, unique sauces.  Another great job.

4. Seared Ahi salad - Another great appetizer that served as a reasonable lunch.  The fish was fresh and delicious.  The wasabi dressing was spicy, but still enjoyable.  There was also another sauce, a light and sweet vinaigrette, if I remember correctly, that really added a dimension to the dish.  Textures were very well balanced - crispy cucumbers and wonton strips, smooth tuna, cooling sauces.  It was just great.

Every now and then, you just connect with a restaurant.  It seems to know you and give you exactly what you want.  The Wild River Grill is one of those.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations to the Wild River Grille, you made this barristers visit to Reno memorable. This is always my choice for a special lunch, we have been wanting to try the Sunday Jazz, but never seem able to. Now, It is mandatory, we are going to do it this Sunday!!

Popular Posts