Talkin' Yogurt - Kiwi Loco and others

Is it just me, or is there a frozen yogurt craze right now?  I remember when TCBY came out, I guess that was the first frozen yogurt craze, I wasn't into it.

It isn't the yogurt's fault - I have never been into the frozen treats.  I worked at Baskin Robbins for a while once, and didn't really care to eat my free scoops of ice cream every day.  I do not bow to the Dairy Queen.  It's just never been my thing.

Well, the yogurt craze is back, and it is really back.  Golden Spoon seems to have been one of the precursors of the rebirth of frozen yogurt.  Again, I didn't get it.  It wasn't bad, but I just didn't care if ever had it again.  Then there was Boston Creme - it also was ok, it made no dent in my psyche.  A U-Swirl moved in by my office, and one of the partners brought some in and I cared so little that I didn't even try it.  I was comfortable in knowing that I was impervious to ice cream and it's yogurty relatives.

Then my buddy told me about Yogurtland.  I like to pronounce it the same way you say Finland, it bothers my wife.  I told my friend I'd have to try it.  I did.  It was weird, because there was a line going through the store and out the door.  For frozen yogurt.  I don't get it.  We waited in line, chose from one of approximately 50 flavors, added toppings, and slapped it on the scale.  Not cheap, but not absurdly expensive, either.

Am I now a preacher of the frozen yogurt gospel?  I don't know.  I like it.  I even think, from time to time, that I would be willing to go have some.  But I don't love it.  It seems very different from ice cream.  I don't see one as a substitute for the other.  Even though I think ice cream is better, I don't really ever think to myself that I would like to go for some ice cream.  What could be the reason?

Crack.  There is crack in the frozen yogurt.

At least that was my first guess.  Now I wonder if it is the customization factor.  Sure I can go to Baskin Robbins and order ice cream with some toppings.  But I have to get some pimply teenager to put them on.  Plus, they monitor and mete out the toppings with a tight fisted precision that always leaves me feeling like I have been cheated.  While Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream, the smallest portion they will serve is one scoop.   So, if I want three flavors, I must buy at least three scoops.

With frozen yogurt, I can put in as many flavors as will fit in my cup.  I now tilt my cup almost horizontally and stack the flavors like crayons in a box.  When I have all my flavors, I then go and add my toppings.  For some reason, Cap'n Crunch is always at the top of my list.  No one cares how much Cap'n Crunch I put on.  I can put in three tablespoons of yogurt and two cups of the Cap'n and nobody bats an eye (though my wife can't help but comment - "How do you eat those, they are like eating little cheese graters").

So now, since the kids like it, Amy likes it and I like it.  We've been eating frozen yogurt.

Did I just write a review of frozen yogurt?  I think I didn't.  I think I am just putting something in writing, so that I can watch and see if this frozen yogurt thing is a craze, or if in three years, I am still going to Yogurtland.  Does frozen yogurt get just 15 minutes of fame, or is it here to stay?  Ask me if I care in a few years.



Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
I find it strange that you don't love ice cream and frozen yogurt as much as I think the rest of our family does. Did you not take part in the "medicine" ice cream Kindal and I used to have as much as possible by stirring chocolate syrup into vanilla until it was almost soupy? Yum! At least you are taking baby steps.
I find it funny that you talked about all the yogurt places around except for the one in this blog post.

Popular Posts