Canonitas(?) - nice mexican food

Though I have lived in Vegas for over seven years, I rarely make it down to the strip for shows and such.  It's kind of embarassing really, though those shows are not cheap.  Well, Blue Man Group had a sale, so I got Amy and I some tickets.  Because we were nervous about being late, we decided to just eat at one of the places at the Venetian, in the Grand Canal shops, to make sure we weren't stuck in traffic instead of attending the show.

Canonitas (I don't know where the "n" with the tilde over it is on blogger - so you have to put it there with your mind), is a mexican restaurant there.  We had walked by before, it often looks busy.  It also looked a bit pricey.  Well, we were feeling indecisive, so we just picked Canonitas, because it was close to the exit.  I don't want to ruin the ending, but it was a good call.

They gave us a seat on the canal.  It was nice.  The gondolas would go by, with the gondolier singing.  It was my first opportunity to heckle a gondolier.  I yelled "Sing Free Bird", as is my habit.  Amy got embarassed and I got to cross that off my bucket list.

We ordered a taco plate appetizer.  It's been so long that I don't recall the types of tacos clearly.  One was fish, one was steak, one was pork, I guess one had to be chicken?  They were tasty.  Not overdone (as in garnished to death), tasty and just right.

Next, Amy got a chicken salad.  It didn't look amazing, but tasted good.  I think she liked it but was also jealous about what I got.

I, of course, got the best thing.  I got a roasted pork loin.  It had some crazy mexican seasonings and sauces.  They were delicious.  It was tender and delicious and very enjoyable.  As I write this, I know it sounds like I am bragging, but I am just so happy to be good at ordering things at restaurants.  (Why wouldn't I be.  We all have our talents.  Some are great at heart surgery, being compassionate, raising children.  I happen to great at asking for food at restaurants).

And . . . dessert.  It looks like an unassuming creme brulee, but it aint.  It's a corn creme brulee.  I guess it could be described as a creamed corn dessert?  But smoother and better than it sounds when someone describes it as a "creamed corn dessert."  You have a vanilla creme brulee.  It is smooth, vanilla-y and tasty.  Then, you insert some sweet corn.  It probably helps firm the texture of the dish and adds more sweetness and a bit of savory at the same time.  It tastes mexican and french at the time.  It is good.

So, Canonitas is a good place.  It wasn't as expensive as I feared and it was quite tasty.  More than that, it offered creative dishes that were true to the restaurant's theme.

Oh,  and you can heckle the gondoliers from your table.  Bonus.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love this one! The creme brulee looks yummy!

Popular Posts