Second Chance pays off -


Hash House A Go Go (twisted farm food).
I liked, then hated and now like this restaurant, and Hash House A Go Go deserves an explanation.

First, it was quite the buzzworthy place when I first went there beginning in 2006.  It was well reviewed, had celebrity autographs in the lobby, and it had a neat-o industrial interior.  I assumed it was good.  I was taken there with friends who loved it and, in deference to them, lied about how good the chorizo was while I overpaid for my breakfast.

Next, I admitted to myself, after having their chicken and waffles, that it was good, but not great.  Further, it was simply too expensive to keep eating it at those prices.  So, anyone who asked was informed that, in my opinion, Hash House A Go Go was good, but not worth the money.

Finally, I ate there again and ordered something I had never had.  I ordered the Hash House Quesadilla, stuffed with potatoes, jalepenos, eggs and tomatoes with a chili cream.  First off - CHILI CREAM!  Ok, so, I loved it too much.  The potatoes were great, the chili cream was awesome, and the fresh jalepenos were spicy!  The plating is also quite nice.

Ok, in the words of Inigo Montoya, "Lemme sum up:"
Is Hash House A Go Go the best food in town.  In a word, no.  However, the top ten restaurants in town are not the absolute "best," but they are undoubtedly very good.  Hash House A Go GO, is quite good.  I am still underwhelmed by the the chicken and waffles, unless it has changed in the last few years.  Their chorizo dish still rings a bit flat, though passable.  But, the Hash House Quesadilla, with CHILI CREAM!, was excellent.  And, having seen this flash of brilliance, I am confident there are likely some other items on their menu that will also be excellent.

 It is still pricey, but the portions are huge.  However, I no longer resent Hash House A Go Go and it's buzz/hype.  They can make some mighty fine food.

Comments

Popular Posts