Turmeric, Flavors of India

Folks, I have weighty things on my mind.  I want to talk about thoughts and feelings and maybe some philosophy. And art, I want to talk about art.  But, I'm lazy.  So, we are talking about something that is easy to talk about.  More food.

Now, this isn't just pure laziness, today.  I am writing this review, like my last, as a public service.  I want people to know about this place, because I think it will improve your life.  Let's talk about Turmeric - Flavors of IndTurmeric - Flavors of India.ia.

I ate there a few days ago.  They are still in the midst of their "soft opening."  The waitress didn't know when this opening would harden into something more substantial.  When we went, we were the only people there, other than the waitress and the bar tender.  

Turmeric is in downtown Las Vegas, across the street from the Container Park.  I went there with my work lunch crew.  There were four of us.  The menu is small-ish, but it has secret flexibilities, one of which we discovered.  

Ok.  Enough background.  Let's talk about the eats. We will start, as one should, at the beginning.  It is a long tradition, perhaps dating back to the dinosaurs, perhaps not, that bread is served prior the main course.  So, before we get to the main courses, let's talk about the naan.  This was good naan.  Naan is thin, pita-like (but different), round bread.  Actually, for those not familiar with Indian food, it is probably somewhere between a thick flour tortilla and a light, thin pita bread.  It is served hot, which I love.  Naan is, as a rule, good.  I can not think of a bad piece of naan that I have been served.  It would take truly extraordinary naan to be extra good.  The naan at turmeric was good.  There was not a thing wrong with it.  
 


This next picture, aside from being a picture of a beef dish, is one example of why this blog is free.  As a photographer, you would think I would take better pics.  The problem is, that when food arrives, I, like a shark, enter into a state of altered consciousness.  My eyes roll back in my head and I simply eat all the deliciousness within my reach before returning to calm lucidity.  That being the case, you are lucky I used my phone for photography and not subduing someone who was competing for my food.  

Ok, so this was the beef curry.  It was delicious.  There is not much more to say.  Take note, there is a small serving of basmati rice and a small garnish.  A lot of the dishes had these and they were delicious little additions.  I wanted a slightly larger amount of rice with mine.  On the other hand, I fell asleep in my chair the other day, maybe I don't need the carbs.
 

Here is the chicken tikka masala.  This is an Indian standard.  It is another dish that is always good, and hard to mess up.  This one was also very good and was definitely not messed up.  Temperature was perfect, flavors were lively and textures were all as they should be.


Here is the chili chicken.  Holy crap, this was great.  I think this dish was universally hailed as the best of the meal.  A dish like this makes you want to kick Panda Express right in the nuts.  Here is a chicken dish involving small pieces of chicken, breaded/seasoned and fried in a bright (in flavor and color), slightly spicy sauce.  The difference here, is that this still tastes like chicken with a sauce.  The fast-food version (orange chicken) tastes like you are eating a scrappy piece of poultry protein that is about to give up the last of its territory to horde of encroaching orange syrup.  You should definitely order a couple servings of this to share with your table when you go to Turmeric.
 

Since my son is on the yearbook committee, I will steal one of his yearbook chestnuts:

[not pictured, chicken tikka]

In my feeding frenzy, I helped my workmates devour the first dish that came out, the chicken tikka.  This was larger chunks of chicken, cooked in a way I don't fully understand (it may involve magic).  I do know that it is flavorful, very moist, and super delicious.  It came with three different chutneys (artfully arranged on the platter), which were fun and distinctive flavor additions.  This dish was not on the menu.  Thus, it is evidence that if you know what you want, and ask for it, you are more likely to get it.  The idea that there are more hidden treasures that are not listed on the menu is tantalizing, almost titillating.  

Oh yeah, one more:
[not pictured, yellow lentils]

These, too, were delicious.  Not quite soupy, and very tasty, the lentils were a great side.  

Do I have any complaints about this place?  No.  I am somewhat hindered in my criticism because this was still a soft opening.  I guess the food came out just a little bit slow, but not much.  Suffice it to say, the service was acceptable even for a restaurant that has undergone the firmest of openings.  

What do I like?  The food is, of course, super tasty.  It would be easy for a restaurant to make mildly flavorful, color-by-numbers Indian food and still be reasonably tasty to the American palate.  That is the nature of Indian food.  Turmeric does a great job of demonstrating a desire to maximize each dish.  The care is evident in the flavor and, to some extent, in the presentation.  It looks like Turmeric is presenting itself as an upscale, if not arty, restaurant.  I approve, especially as the prices are still reasonable.  

Disclaimer.  I really liked this restaurant.  Perhaps I have now eaten at enough Indian restaurants that I can add this category to my "best of" list.  Turmeric would be in my top two.  I have to acknowledge, though, that I am not an expert on Indian food.  My friend from Pakistan said that the chicken tikka masala was good, but not noteworthy.  He is probably right, but it was so good, I couldn't tell if it was different from my other favorite places (like Saffron).  

In spite of my lack of expertise, I am fully comfortable in heartily recommending Turmeric, Flavors of India.  Whether their opening continue to be flaccid, or whether it becomes diamond-like in its rigidity, it's good stuff and I can't wait to have more.  

Comments

Popular Posts